• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Surplus Military Trailers: How to make them road worthy?

hwcurtice

So, say you buy one of these from the local auction, or someone that is selling one, that hasn't gone through all the loops and stuff to make it road worthy yet.

What needs to be done? Can I tow it home from the auction as it sits with a travel permit? Will the wiring work with a generic trailer hook up or would I need a temporary set up for lights? Do these trailers have brakes or are they free-wheeling?

I know to get it licencsed, I most likely need to get it inspected by the WSP, or use a registration plate from another trailer that I don't use or plan on scraping out anyway, but what else needs to be done?

Looking at a M101A1 Trailer

Last edited:
Get a set of towing lights from harbor freight to tow it home. The lights are 24 volt and the plug is wrong so there's a little to do to get the lights working right but it's not hard or expensive. A M-101 has surge brakes and a pintle hitch so if it's in good shape the brakes will work though they're not required on a empty trailer that small. No inspection required to get plates. You need a SF-97 and a bill of sale from GL. Take them to the local license agency, pay the lady and get plates- tabs and title in the mail.

I have been keeping my eye out for an M-416 Like this. Well, one I can modify myself. If anyone every runs across one give me a holler.

done9287630.jpg

I was thinking, as I was following a H1 on the way home this evening, that one of these would just plug right in to one of those and the electrical issue would be a non-issue....

Then I realized that if I could afford an H1, I could afford one of those really neat $10,000 2 ton Dump trailers....

mmmmmm

Back to your regularly scheduled, "WTF is Harold talking about now?" show.

A quick question for those that have bought one of these. what is a good price for one?

What is "YOU PAID HOW MUCH??? You was robbed!!!!"

Updated question about these trailers.

Now that the little trailer is gone, I'm full speed ahead into buying a new trailer. Still looking into getting a 3/4 ton Military trailer, but the question remains, would you buy one at the auction or buy one off Craigslist?

I've found a couple on Craigslist and it seems that the price doubles, or more, when they pull them off the auction lot. 'WTF?' I realize they've done some of the hard work, but WTF? Double? Or more?

Next question: would you buy the one with the dump bed and brakes or go for the 'Plain Jane' one?

Updated question about these trailers.

Now that the little trailer is gone, I'm full speed ahead into buying a new trailer. Still looking into getting a 3/4 ton Military trailer, but the question remains, would you buy one at the auction or buy one off Craigslist?

I've found a couple on Craigslist and it seems that the price doubles, or more, when they pull them off the auction lot. 'WTF?' I realize they've done some of the hard work, but WTF? Double? Or more?

Next question: would you buy the one with the dump bed and brakes or go for the 'Plain Jane' one?

I would buy one from auction but don't plan to get it for a couple months or so as the process is slow.
What model are you looking at that dumps? What model doesn't have brakes?

none dump or have brakes.

They have an individual parking brake for each wheel controlled by a locking lever.

They are a square frame with an A frame tongue.

If ya unbolt the tongue form the frame/box then set the parking brake on each wheel and back up it will force it to dump.

If you plan to use it as a dump, you better have good traction or 4x4, better waller out the holes for the bolts, cuz its like unbolting a set of old leaf springs everytime you want to dump it. They fit tight and crusty.

Some guys replace the bolts with smaller pins to make it easier.

Like binder said, GovLiq is SLOW. You also have to buy tires (sometimes), 12 volt lights, pintle hitch, TITLE, etc.

Craigslist ones are sometimes easier to deal with. less hoopla, more loot.

Why is GovLiq slower? Don't you just win the auction, go pay, and take it home?

I know there's some time involved with getting it titled and all, plus a little elbow grease to get it to work with lights and all...

M101A2 One I'm looking at says 'manual dump feature' which I guess means you have to remove the bolts and lift the bed up to dump. Has the hand brakes...

M101A1 has no brakes

I know there's some time involved with getting it titled and all, plus a little elbow grease to get it to work with lights and all...

M101A2 One I'm looking at says 'manual dump feature' which I guess means you have to remove the bolts and lift the bed up to dump. Has the hand brakes...

M101A1 has no brakes

You have to wait for your euc paperwork to clear. My buddy won a 101a2 2mnths ago and is still waiting. When they call you you have 10 days to pick up your auction.

No the trailer must be "demilitarized". There's tons of red tape to make sure you don't sell it to a third world country.:rolleyes: The red tape isn't that bad to deal with but it takes lots of time waiting for them to do their part.