• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Suspension compress more on one side?

Lunnzz

Was wondering why my suspension compresses more on the passengers side? Could the leaf springs be weaker on that side or going flat? It rubbed enough yesterday that it pushed the fender into the door and door binds now. Also drivers side tire rubs when at full lock turning left. I am sure the front end needs rebuilt And forgot to mention truck is a 84 4runner thinking I might tear the front end apart do a rebuild.

Check your spring pins....could be broken.
You didn't mention whether the truck sits level on flat ground. Does it?

Sorry can't remember but I beleive the passengers side is about a inch lower I've measured it before but it was a long time ago. Might pull it into the garage later.

More info needed to give a better diagnosis but I will give it a shot. :;

If stock springs, then safe to say the spring is going flat. If over the counter aftermarket leaf springs like rancho, pro comp or superlift, then chances are they are going flat. If mail order springs like Marlin, All Pro or Trail Gear, then more than likely the condition is normal as these springs are soft and will flex more than the others. A lot of times you will think one is flexing more than the other but usually not the case. You may also find your rig leaning to one side when parked.

sounds like spring's goin' flat...or something's moved....in either case, time for some luvin'....:redneck:

Isnt one spring taller than the other on those rigs? Also have you checked your bump stops? Is one missing? Ahammer fixed my tire firewall rubbing problem on my old toyota. Also some guys cut out the inner fenderwell and make a new piece for added clearence.

On a rig with very soft springs thew torque of the driveshaft to the axle will make it tend to go one way more than the other. In foreword gears the pass side should stuff more. If it's in reverse does it do the same thing on the other side?

My 4runner is the same way. The gas tank and battery are on the passenger side, thats a lot more weight on one side compared to the other. You can do a ford gas tank where the spare tire is supposed to be(search on pirate for info), and moving the battery might help. I chopped my firewall back to the bodymount on both sides and much less rubbing.

Springs are after market not sure of brand it compresses enough to bind on the lower corner. Took it off straightened it out but will need to do a permanent fix. It does seem to rub more going forward so it all makes sense I had it bound up pretty good yesterday in this small pit by my house. Don't wanna spend any money on it just yet seeing that I got it up for sale. Thanks everybody for the input

You do realize one spring perch sits higher than the other right?? Not a ton higher about 1/2 to 1 inch.. I dont remember honestly. Isi it possible you have them swapped ? try switching them

You do realize one spring perch sits higher than the other right?? Not a ton higher about 1/2 to 1 inch.. I dont remember honestly. Isi it possible you have them swapped ? try switching them

Yeah, passenger side is actually closer to 3/8" higher. Some spring manufacturers supply a shim for the driver side spring perch, some manufacturers have a left side and a right side spring, and some manufacturers dont give a chit.... :redneck:

Yeah the 1" was a little much I just dont have my 4runner here.. I think it was right there around 3/8ths to 1/2 though

It might not be an inch it's close there are no pics to post they would be worthless. I don't have anything swapped they were on the truck when I bought it and they'll stay where there at. Fawk the fender who needs it anyway.:redneck: