• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Swing out hinge

craig1

I thought I saw on here a post from someone who makes a post/hinge for a swing out tire/jerry can holder. Not the swing out arm itself, just a hinge that welds on to the bumper that I can attach my own swing out arm to. I can't find it via searching.

Anyone else see this or know what I'm talking about?

--Craig

CrustyJeep said:
That's what I used, worked great, no problems yet.

The consensus seems to be that they need a sturdy latch, otherwise the cyclic stresses on the spindle will fatigue and break it. On the freeway, without warning. Not good.

So, you haven't had any problem, but I should beware that they could suffer from a catastrophic failure!? Yikes! How does the latch help prevent this? Just guarantee that if the spindle does fail the carrier doesn't fly off?

--Craig

craig said:
So, you haven't had any problem, but I should beware that they could suffer from a catastrophic failure!? Yikes! How does the latch help prevent this? Just guarantee that if the spindle does fail the carrier doesn't fly off?
Seen some failures posted on Pirate.

If the spindle is supporting the entire weight if the tire and rack and whatever, all the bouncing around can cause it to fatique and crack due to cyclic stress. You need to fully support the weight of the other end of the carrior, otherwise the rack becomes a big long heavy lever.

Comet makes a good suggestion too... A Dana44 spindle and hub would make a good solid hinge, for almost free, and it should be quite a bit stronger than a trailer spindle. Plus if you bolt it on, it's a spare spindle and lockout hub if you run a 44 :D

CrustyJeep said:
Seen some failures posted on Pirate.

If the spindle is supporting the entire weight if the tire and rack and whatever, all the bouncing around can cause it to fatique and crack due to cyclic stress. You need to fully support the weight of the other end of the carrior, otherwise the rack becomes a big long heavy lever.

Comet makes a good suggestion too... A Dana44 spindle and hub would make a good solid hinge, for almost free, and it should be quite a bit stronger than a trailer spindle. Plus if you bolt it on, it's a spare spindle and lockout hub if you run a 44 :D

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not quite ready to swap Dana 44s into my Land Rover, but I'll have to ponder what Rover parts could bolt up to do the job. :)