• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Taco SAS question

Rennurder

Gonna SAS a 99 Tacoma soon for a friend. Will an FJ 80 front housing work or should i just go with early 80's???? Is the drop on the proper side etc...

Dont have facts, but i know people have problems with steering using these housings. Search on pirate and you will find a lot of useful info.

FJ80 axles dont have a traditional flat surface to mount a high steer arm on. Steve told me he was going to do some wierd adaptor on the t-case to mount up a old gear drive t-case so he looses the std drivers drop on a taco.

I take it his call to me was for not?

The guy i reffered has done a ferw of them, Knows the in's and out of them and will make a proper working rig without teething problems.

Gonna SAS a 99 Tacoma soon for a friend. Will an FJ 80 front housing work or should i just go with early 80's???? Is the drop on the proper side etc...

I have no actual knowledge, but I have drooled over a lot of Taco swaps. But both axles are the wrong drop, Taco's have a driver drop. You can use either axle, but the '80 is difficult because of steering and I also think there's some issuses with the leafs. Mini truck axles are too short, by 6" or so, I think using the IFS hubs extends them 1.5", but they still end up too short. There is an adapter for the Taco's to the gear drive transfer cases, so you could pick up a dual case already set-up and mate it to the transfer case and have the right drop but then the $$$ and time goes up a lot. Pirate4x4 has a Taco section with some pretty good tech, you probably want to go there.