• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Taurus fan trouble

The Goat 812

I'm having trouble with the Taurus fan in my jeep. I have a switch set up with a rely to run the high side and low side of the fan, it's a 40 amp rely. The low side works fine but the high side will I love ya run for a min or two before it pops. I've looked and the fan should only pull a max of 33 amps. I'm no wiring or electrical guy so any suggestions would be great.

They can pull way more than that on high side especially at startup.

Easiest and cheapest is to try running two 40a relays parallel.

I had problems until I installed a maxi fuse at 70AMPS. Starting off on high is not what was intended, and spikes power till it is up and running. Think of starting off a bike in high gear.

pachary said:
They can pull way more than that on high side especially at startup.

Easiest and cheapest is to try running two 40a relays parallel.

My friend that wired the jeep for me said this very same thing, I on the other hand have no clue what that means.

The Goat 812 said:
John what is a maxi fuse? I'm really dumb when it comes to wiring.

Google image it!!!

In all auto parts stores. Fuse about 1.5" wide.

maxi_holder.gif

http://www.vteworld.com/content/electromech/fuse/html/maxi/maxifuse.php

Company first is search, not saying to do business with them.

12 volt guy has 70 amp relays .....also I have had a lot of luck with radio shack automotive 40 amp relays on my taurus fan . Had actually ordered70 amp relay from 12 volt guy when I tried the radio shack relay still have not used 70 amp yet and that been a good year since I put radio shack in maybe longer

Someone on here posted once that they measured their amp draw on high at startup and it spiked all the way to 70. I think it may depend on how healthy / old your fan is though.

I run 40-amp relays and my ECM controls them. It always cycles through low before going to high which means it is already spinning when high kicks on. It stands to reason that it shouldn't draw as many amps that way as it would starting from a stop and going straight to high.

BUT, I have also tried manually switching high on on many occasions and it has never blown a fuse or failed. For temporary reasons right now I only have the high side wired and my 40-amp relay seems fine with it. I bought my fan new though.

The more resistance there is the more amps it will draw. An old fan is going to have dirt, grime, and wear that will increase resistance and draw more amps.

I only recently bought a clamp meter, I will try to get a measurement on my fan hi and low soon ...

Get a fan control relay from a Volvo, they use the same fans as Taurus' but the relay is a neat compact little unit that is mounted right to the fan shroud and is labeled with which wires do what.

Super simple and built to run that exact fan

527009d1275741781-anybody-use-volvo-2-speed-fan-relay-volvorelay1.jpg

You've got your power "IN" on the far right,

2 signal grounds that control Hi and Lo speed (1 &2 ) in the middle

and on the left Is the hot side output to the fan speed Hi and Lo ( 1&2)

cheap and plentiful in junkyards.

X4, I ran that also, but that was not my problem. My issue was melting the regular sized fuse holder I had after the relay and before the fan.