• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electric Fan Jeep YJ

rpf500

I searched and found a thread from Kush, but after looking in to it more, both the Volvo and Taurus fans are too big for my application. I have not seen either in person, so I am not sure how much can be trimmed down, but both are in the 22"+ range on the shrouds and I have only 18" x 18" to work with. Well, that is what needs covered atleast. Any wider, and I get into the inlet and outlet, and any taller I hit the hood or my steering will hit at full bump.

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=39762.0

I can find the shrouds online at Summit and add a fan. Some guys do this, others buy the cheap units with a guard on them basically and say those are working. Can anyone tell me what they use for a fan, and about how many CFM I need to be looking for. Higher the better on CFM's I am sure. But what are you getting by with now is what I am after.

I have ran parts store fans on everything you can imagine since I have been driving. Buggy has 2 on it. Only problems I have are those dumb pull tie things they come with. Unless I was wanting to spend the money on an entire unit (radiator shroud fans plug up and go) I will continue to go this route.

YJ....Taurus fan inverted in front of radiator

992a1539f0867a309158616b365dd439.jpg

tonybolton said:
YJ....Taurus fan inverted in front of radiator

992a1539f0867a309158616b365dd439.jpg

That is a thought there. Never crossed my mind. Do you know how thick the set up is total? I ask because if I had to move mine out (towards engine) to fit the Taurus fan, that won't work either because my links/truss will hit the bottom of the radiator. I could tilt the top back some, but the bottom needs to stay tucked up pretty tight against the back of the grill area.

Re:

Never measured it....but my upper links would hit the crank pulley before it hit the radiator. It's bumpstopped before that obviously.

BUG-E J said:
I have ran parts store fans on everything you can imagine since I have been driving. Buggy has 2 on it. Only problems I have are those dumb pull tie things they come with. Unless I was wanting to spend the money on an entire unit (radiator shroud fans plug up and go) I will continue to go this route.

Are they just 1 speed fans that you use? I looked at Advanced at they are $65 and 1400 CFM. I can't fit 2, but then again, I have no idea what the factory fan CFM is either so maybe I would not need 2 with my monster 4.0L.

rpf500 said:
Are they just 1 speed fans that you use? I looked at Advanced at they are $65 and 1400 CFM. I can't fit 2, but then again, I have no idea what the factory fan CFM is either so maybe I would not need 2 with my monster 4.0L.
Yes a hot and a ground. How you wire it depends if it pushes or pulls. O rieleys carry a few different sizes. Get 2 small ones if you want and out thwm on. Then just add the 2 cfms together

Thanks a lot guys. I am going to get some more dimensions and see what I have to work with. I want to end up with too much fan, and not one that is too small.

Re:

Are you still running the 4.0? I know my buddy fit a Taurus one on his 4.0 Rubicon.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re:

And if you go to the junkyard to get one pull the Volvo relay box. Makes wiring it easy enough for a dude like me who can't seem to do anything right on my rig.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I had the same room issues when I swapped a SBC in my YJ. I saw this syclone fan in another thread on here so I thought I would give it try. I mounted it on the front of the radiator as a pusher. Had the jeep out for the first time on saturday and it worked awesome. pulls more air and way quieter than a parts store fan.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-398

Craig said:
I had the same room issues when I swapped a SBC in my YJ. I saw this syclone fan in another thread on here so I thought I would give it try. I mounted it on the front of the radiator as a pusher. Had the jeep out for the first time on saturday and it worked awesome. pulls more air and way quieter than a parts store fan.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-398

So no shroud or anything? This one would cover most of my 18x18 area so I'd assume that a shroud would be a waste in that case.

I found this last night. Comes with a fan. It would fit about perfect if mounted sideways of their measurements. I like that yours is a known brand name though.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-FAN-SHROUD-W-16-FAN-MANY-FORD-MODELS-20-WIDE-CORE-/282085153566?hash=item41ad95db1e%3Ag%3AmAEAAOSwo4pYSxvM&_trkparms=pageci%253Af2451b9f-c118-11e6-895d-74dbd1e0e417%257Cparentrq%253Af79303bc1580a2a21500552fffdd7238%257Ciid%253A9

I have the Summit Syclone fan on my 4.0 and no problem keeping it cool.
I made a shroud out of a price of thin AL tread plate I had laying around. It mounts flat to the back of the grill using the same bolts as the radiator with the fan in front pushing. I had to take the Syclone name plate off the fan to have enough clearance behind the grill slots to fit.
I have it wired thru an adjustable thermostat to a 50amp relay on a SPDT switch on the dash

Always ON - OFF - Tstat ON

I can grab a better pic this evening if you want
4e37a5bda634a27e16c8adaeadb7699a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

rpf500 said:
So no shroud or anything? This one would cover most of my 18x18 area so I'd assume that a shroud would be a waste in that case.

I found this last night. Comes with a fan. It would fit about perfect if mounted sideways of their measurements. I like that yours is a known brand name though.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-FAN-SHROUD-W-16-FAN-MANY-FORD-MODELS-20-WIDE-CORE-/282085153566?hash=item41ad95db1e%3Ag%3AmAEAAOSwo4pYSxvM&_trkparms=pageci%253Af2451b9f-c118-11e6-895d-74dbd1e0e417%257Cparentrq%253Af79303bc1580a2a21500552fffdd7238%257Ciid%253A9

no shroud, just fastened right to the front of the radiator.

Thanks guys. I ended up with the cyclone fan also. The Amazon gift card I got for Christmas paid for it which was even better.

Any benefit to mount as a pusher vs puller? I have my steering and trans coolers mocked up for behind the grill mounting with the fan as a puller.

You can make a shroud for it. We took a flat sheet of 18 gauge sheet an mounted it right to the stock radiator as a puller. Had a 13" fan in it. Worked like a charm. It never got hot unless some dumb ass forgot to turn the it on. :woot: