• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TBI Diagnostics - Need WinALDL Help

Allright, so let me clarify my exact steps going forward:

With the rig idling, I need to adjust the throttle plate to bring the IAC count down to around 20... Now, does the IAC need to be connected or disconnected during this process? Is there any sort of jumper or waiting periods involved before I start to adjust the screw? I ask because the AFI instructions tell you to jumper A & B on the ALDL plug, and then disconnect the IAC, and then start tinkering with the screw. However, with those jumpers in place, I have no way to log data because the ALDL plug is jumpered, and I can't hook up my cable, thus I can't see my IAC counts???

See, I told you I'd have some stupid questions!!

have the rig at idle without anything disconnected--and able to read the datastream. Start adjusting the screw inward--go in small steps as it will take a while for the ecm to respond and drop the IAC counts--at the same time watch the tps values and see what happens...

Allright, my laptop is charging right now... I should be able to report back with some info in a couple hours... Thanks!!!

Well, I managed to get the IAC count down to ~20 at idle, with a TPS reading of 0.53volts. The idle is MUCH smoother overall, but still bounces around a little. The other readings are more or less the same as reported before... Do you guys think this is as good as it can get?

After a spirited test drive, I found I've got a U-joint going as I was greeted with a hardy shaking while I was slowing down the last few times, so it's time for some repairs before much more driving.

Well, I managed to get the IAC count down to ~20 at idle, with a TPS reading of 0.53volts.

Your adjustments are well within tollerance. This shouldn't effect the idle too much though. The surging will wave to be taken care of with the chip.

Ok--in open loop the ecm does not use the INT or BL for fueling --its all off of preset fuel mapping.... So if its surging when it goes into closed loop its due to the fuel mixture.

Unfortunately it's much more complicated than this. The surging idle is probably caused from a fuel issue possibly timing but not likely at all that it has much to do with INT or BLM fuel trim....

Your making good progress though, just do a data log and send it to Norm. Attach the log here too if you can just for shits and grins so we can see what your working with.:cool:

If I can find some Spicer joints locally today, I'll get the rear shaft back into shape and take it for a drive. How do I attach a file to the forums here though?