• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TBI Question

binderbound said:
9600 sounds about right. Mine runs so good that I havent had to log data in forever:D

My laptop was free so i dont worry about bringing it on runs. I carry 1 of all my sensors and a spare ECM. They were all leftovers from junkyard scrounging. Problem with these conversions is sometimes you get a code 12 constantly or random codes cuz stuff isnt exactly factory. Especially when things start getting deleted out of the chip. Its just annoying having a blinking light on your dash, IMO.

edit- i guess you wouldnt need to hook the light up. just have it on hand. Also, you need your laminate of what all the codes mean.

Code 12 is a normal system code :;

binderbound said:
yes, but he didnt want to run a check engine light. plus, with Winaldl you have all the data in real time. No need for codes, it flags whats wrong. you just have to keep your laptop handy.
I'll need the light to check for codes. I don't think I want it in the dash, because I kind of assume I'll have codes at least for awhile because of the EGR. I don't have a laptop, so the light will be my only way to read codes.

What two wires do you connect to make it report codes?

CrustyJeep said:
I'll need the light to check for codes. I don't think I want it in the dash, because I kind of assume I'll have codes at least for awhile because of the EGR. I don't have a laptop, so the light will be my only way to read codes.

What two wires do you connect to make it report codes?

A&B and turn the ignition on and watch the blinking lamp :;

OK another question... I have a V6 ECU, and I'd like to lose the EGR stuff. Can I just replace the PROM with a V8 one? Custom burned with no EGR?

CrustyJeep said:
OK another question... I have a V6 ECU, and I'd like to lose the EGR stuff. Can I just replace the PROM with a V8 one? Custom burned with no EGR?

You have to have a special prom burned--you don't reburn stock proms...

Talk to wizbangchris--he has the goods to do them...

CrustyJeep said:
Knowing me, I'll be buying the burner. I'm such a sucker for new toys :haha:

I wouldn't. if you did and you broke something--take your normal repair time and x's it by 4 :kissmyass: :D

Depends on which ECM you have. The earllier ones need both the prom and the little chip next to it replaced to convert from V6 to V8. The later ones have one big memcal that you replace. What's the part number on the side of the ECM?

Oh, and the ALDL on most TBI stuff is 160 baud. The last few years of TBI and TPI aren't much better at 8192 baud.

Do you happen to have a stock manual 5.7L truck file handy? If I matched that with the right injectors and turned off the EGR, seems like I'd have a good starting point...

CrustyJeep said:
Do you happen to have a stock manual 5.7L truck file handy? If I matched that with the right injectors and turned off the EGR, seems like I'd have a good starting point...

The files are specific to the different ECMs so it depends on which one you have. I have a bunch of them saved and there are plenty more available on the web for download so getting a file shouldn't be a problem.

CrustyJeep said:
Well drat, it's a 1227137 ('86). I'm probly better off tracking down a 747.

Yeah, that one isn't gonna work. It was only used with the 4.3 so you wouldn't have a 5.7 file to start with. Hold on to the prom from it, though. Some of the stock ones can be erased and reprogrammed.

The 747s aren't too hard to find. Most small block 87-92 trucks or FS vans had them. One from a V6 will work, but you'll have to replace that netres chip. I think they're around $20 from GM, if they're still available. It's been a couple years since I bought one.

OK I have a 747 en route. But...

I'm having trouble figuring out which damn chip to buy and where to buy them. I want the electronic erasable type, that's about all I know. Can anybody spoon feed me a link? :D

CrustyJeep said:
OK I have a 747 en route. But...

I'm having trouble figuring out which damn chip to buy and where to buy them. I want the electronic erasable type, that's about all I know. Can anybody spoon feed me a link? :D

The '747 uses a 2732 eprom that is a 24 pin chip. There isn't an eeprom version of the 2732 so you have to run a 29256 (or a 512) with a 24 pin to 28 pin adapter. You also need to load the program into a specific address so the ECM will read it.

Do some reading on moates.net. He has all sorts of cool stuff. The Autoprom basically kicks ass. That'll be my next EFI toy whenever I find an extra $300 kicking around.

WhizBangChris said:
The '747 uses a 2732 eprom that is a 24 pin chip. There isn't an eeprom version of the 2732 so you have to run a 29256 (or a 512) with a 24 pin to 28 pin adapter. You also need to load the program into a specific address so the ECM will read it.
So it's either a direct fit 24 pin eprom that takes UV to erase, or an adapter to run an eeprom? OK thx.

Latest posts