• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Team 420 trip to Rausch creek

tonyt

team 420 / funky monkey racing / Last minute Racing / Didn't bring it Racing

just got back from a trip up to PA, to try and help Jimmy and Ian get the buggy qualified for KOH 2011. 4 lap race, 17miles each lap. took the top 12finishers.

left out wednesday morning at about 7am. my truck pulling my rig and the buggy, and all teh gear. took the long way to avoid the mountains up I-81. rolled into the hotel about 930-10pm. checked in, caught up with john (owner/editor in chief of CRAWL) in the parking lot. tailgated more than a few beers, and then turned in for the night.

hit the park early thursday morning. started setting up pit, and fueling the rigs to go pre-run the course. that's when we discovered several items were stolen out of the rear of the truck the night before. lost a gas can and jimmy's race helmet.

jimmy took the buggy and I took my rig out to pre-run the course, while the other guys hit town for new gas cans and fuel for my rig, beverages and food for the day.

uneventful prerun of 1st half of course, other than me runnning out of fuel just short of camp.

started out to run 2nd half of course and front ARB was not engaging. after pulling it out and trying several options o-ring wise, we come up with a solution and got it going.

started out again to pre-run 2nd half and busted the sway bar. its gonna have to be beefed up to a 2inch diameter bar or something. finished pre-running 2nd half of course.

only 2 "difficult" obstacles on the whole loop. the rest was a mix of go- fast access roads, and rock gardens. nothing over medium difficulty really. one obstacle that looked bad. think bounty hill only 50-60ft of it. sticky as concrete though, so jimmy pretty much walked it.

finished up pre-running and had free barbeque for dinner along with drivers meeting.

after the long day I had a splitting migraine, so I turned in early and the guys went out with the crawl folks for some drinks.

race day started out good. jimmy started 27 or 28 I think. out of 33 rigs.
right off the bat the spare time came unstrapped. LOL. we recovered it and took it to pit.

they pitted after 1st half of lap 1 to pickup tire and fix a leaky brake line.

headed back out.

back in for fuel sometime after that.

came back in after the first half of lap 3. dropped a tire that they had to change, cut a nice hole in it. (the tire change on the course took forever because they had lost the tool bag, had to wait for someone to stop and borrow a tool)

new fuel tank and back out.

2nd half of lap 3 jimmy rolled on the 50ft wall. took a bad line and bounced a little funny he said. totalled the lightbar and busted a bypass shock when they were rolled back over.

came past pits for 2nd half of lap 4 and jimmy didn't come in to pit. just gave us the big thumbs up as he blasted down the course beside the pit.

headed to the finish line and waited with TN champagne in hand for them.

they blew the power steering cooler within earshot of the finish. had to bypass with a fitting (luckily they actually FOUND the toolbag they had dropped earlier and picked it up.)

finished 16th. believe 20 racers out of the 33 finished the course before time was up.

was an awesome trip, was great to see jimmy cross the finish line.

headed out on the town for a well-deserved steak dinner and a few drinks. ran into the bulk of the racers, along with the pirate folks, and dave cole, along with jeff knoll at the pub. lots of drunken shenanigans ensued. we had a few drinks and headed out.

did a little riding saturday morning. took the buggy and my rig out. drove all over the comp course. mark took the buggy up jotters (other tough obstacle)

we were faced with the option of paying $45 for each rig to ride a few more hours that day, so we packed it up and headed home.

trip back was hilarious. nearly ran my truck out of diesel because glen thought it would be a good idea to let it get below 1/4 tank. computer was on 3 miles to empty when we finally hit a station.

later on the way back, glen pulled off an exit with NO gas station, or food signs. proceeeded to drive the countryside. after facing much ridicule, he decided it would be a good idea to turn around by pulling into someones driveway and right up to the front door. single lane driveway, 25ft gooseneck, and we pull right up to the front door. I thought for sure we were going to get shot. dude steps out onto his porch and just stares at us, while glen is trying to back out without tearing up more of the guys yard than we already have. LOL. good times.

awesome trip. lotsa great stories to tell.

still not qualified for KOH. but we are on the way. the rig is crazy fast with jimmy behind the wheel.

total carnage for trip.

cut tire
busted sway bar
busted lightbar
busted bypass shock.
ARB repair
power steering cooler
205 only good for 4lo and front wheel drive hi.

looks like 3 more chances to get qualified.
Harlan, date not known.
Southern missouri, july 9-11
and Attica, oct 2.

I'm sure jimmy has more to add.

rcq1.jpg

rcq2.jpg

The flat tire for five miles of high speed and rock courses Killed our first lap added 1+ hours over our other laps.

That and

205 only good for 4lo and front wheel drive hi.
Busted swaybar
Made high speed real interesting.

But all and all we don't get too serious and had a great time.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Matt O. said:
Oh, I see that you are alive. Did you break your phone again?

yeah, he had a little phone malfunction.

lost it on jotters. someone made it into two pieces. LOL.