• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TH350 or TH400 for my build?

Glen1978

Sun does shine on a DOGS ASS!
Hey guys trying to get a straight answer here. Im building up a Toyota 4Runner bodied rig with 5.3L (cam / tune) with a 203/205 doubler and one tons under it. Running in the neighborhood of 40 - 42" tires. I like to hammer my ****. Ive talked to PTC about a TH350 but started thinking I could probably build a TH400 easier and with less upgrades and save some money. In yalls opinion which works better? My thinking is I would have to build a full out 350 vs a fairly stock 400. Would have RMVB and compression braking in both. Give me the lowdown. Thanks

Build it right the first time and don't worry about it. I vote for a PTC 400 thats what I had in my buggy and never had an issues and I know a lot of other guys who run one and they hold up great.

A TH350 is pretty dam strong and a bit cheaper. Also doesn't suck up as much power as a TH400. The biggest thing is get the right converter and keep it cool no matter which trans you choose.

As already stated keep it cool and a 350 with the right converter will be plenty a strong. I'm running a very healthy 5.3 with a t350 and haven't had a single problem. I'm running a derale trans cooler with its own fan also that seems to work well.

Thanks guys. Keep the comments coming. Ive got some parts lined up to go either way but building a doubler behind a TH350 is alot easier to source parts for. Im having to swap inputs and outputs and this and that to cobble one together for a th400.

Re:

I'm running a th350 behind a 5.3 with cam and injectors. I have a matched tq convertor and one stacked cooler with a fan and a second stack cooler without a fan. It doesn't go through the radiator.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Talked to Bushhog750 for AWHILE last night....good chattin with you BTW. Got some good info for my LS build. Called PTC this morning to ask about core charge, which there isnt :woot:
I talked to Kenny and he said TH350 all the way. Just make sure you support it good or your gona bust the tail off. Im gona go with the 350. Sure makes things alot easier to do on my end since finding NP203's that fit a TH400 isnt the easiest thing to do.

What about a 4L80E? They already have the upgrades that the th400 needs with a stronger case plus it has o.d. If you found one with low miles you could probably bolt it up and go, should plug into your ecm too i think?