• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Th400. Parts needed to build a reliable tranny ?

All I know, which isnt much. Is that the guy the built mine, was telling me some better clutches were important. He said the stock ones burn up at about 250 ish and the upgraded ones are bout 450 ish. I think i remember correctly. Either way it was bout 200 degrees difference. :dblthumb:

I have built a couple Dodge diesel transmissions, so I figured I would build my Th400. I'm just not familure with them ,so I was curious about what hard parts might be failure points.

From the research i've done throughout my build; this is a decent recipe for a reliable TH350 build to withstand 400hp. I would guess that a th400 would be a similar parts list.

1 CORE TH350 $50
2 TCI Reverse Man. Valve Body $231
3 Art-Carr Winters Shifter (Reverse) $210
4 Torque Converter 1600-1800 stall (Hughes or PTC) $200
5 Bronze Thrust Washer Kit (TCI 313600) $30
6 Bronze Bushing Kit (TCI 313-700) $26
7 Hardened Sprag (TCI 328910) $100
8 TH350 Rebuild Kit $230
9 Trans Cooler $150

From what I understand Kaitlyn Jenner is real reliable right now, built with the best money can buy

Re: Re: Th400. Parts needed to build a reliable tranny ?

bbtank45 said:
From the research i've done throughout my build; this is a decent recipe for a reliable TH350 build to withstand 400hp. I would guess that a th400 would be a similar parts list.

1 CORE TH350 $50
2 TCI Reverse Man. Valve Body $231
3 Art-Carr Winters Shifter (Reverse) $210
4 Torque Converter 1600-1800 stall (Hughes or PTC) $200
5 Bronze Thrust Washer Kit (TCI 313600) $30
6 Bronze Bushing Kit (TCI 313-700) $26
7 Hardened Sprag (TCI 328910) $100
8 TH350 Rebuild Kit $230
9 Trans Cooler $150
Any clutch? I really appreciate your post. I'm about to build a 350

Re: Re: Th400. Parts needed to build a reliable tranny ?

ranger11 said:
Any clutch? I really appreciate your post. I'm about to build a 350

The Summit Racing rebuild kit has Alto Red clutches. Summit Part# SUM-705020

Kits include:

* Alto Red clutches
* Kolene steels
* KEVLAR® high performance band
* High performance transmission filter
* Full bushing kit
* Oil seals
* Gaskets
* Lip seals
* Thrust washer kit

kushKrawlin said:
All I know, which isnt much. Is that the guy the built mine, was telling me some better clutches were important. He said the stock ones burn up at about 250 ish and the upgraded ones are bout 450 ish. I think i remember correctly. Either way it was bout 200 degrees difference. :dblthumb:

if your trans gets up to 450 it's toast anyway....kinda like your brain :flipoff1:

:-\

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 323
34 element sprag
rollerize the rear output bearing
Transgo 1-2 pro Shift kit
OE clutches Ftw imo
Get the best biggest cooler you can afford
Bypass filter

Transtar is a great place to get your parts

Neal3000 said:
if your trans gets up to 450 it's toast anyway....kinda like your brain :flipoff1:
Hey hey now. Maybe urs. But not mine.my shits cusssstom!! 600° no problem. I will never know because I cut my brand-new Automator transmission gauge line out of frustration tonite. Considered it as part of the trip cost. Long story. If my transmission messes up, i'm going to Blame the bonehead about the shifter from.

Neal3000 said:
34 element sprag
rollerize the rear output bearing
Transgo 1-2 pro Shift kit
OE clutches Ftw imo
Get the best biggest cooler you can afford
Bypass filter

Transtar is a great place to get your parts
You forgot to say make sure your front driveshaft isn't too long to break the whole case in half :flipgotcha:

And stop posting my recipies on the Internet. Some of these guys still think transmissions are full of fairys and unicorns and pay good money for a rebuild.