• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Th400 shift problems

I got some more details. Sounds like he said he feels like it has to rev pretty high before it will go into second.

It is a fresh build from this time last year. Has maybe 6 hours of mild ride time on it. Supposed to be beefed up version they build.

Any Trans I ever built for a performance application, ex...for a classic car or hot rod, if it sat for a year before it was ever run, my customer could call me and I'd go to their house and diagnose and repair.

To me sitting a year with 6 hours run time is well within my warranty. There a quite a few details that make a difference in this problem. What's beefed up? Manual valve body, assuming not? What motor is it behind? Did you put it in yesterday? When you feel a 2nd gear shift at high RPM, can you manually shift down and guarantee it hit 2nd?

Honestly I'm an anal son of gun. There are a lot of guys who sell transmissions that shouldn't build them or sell them.

Id call the builder instead of here

Well,. I didn't wanna hijack or start a new thread. But when drivin my rig around the neighborhood yesterday I notice one thing. It up shifts as expected.. And when/if I come to a stop sign will start off in first again. But it seems when I hit 3rd gear if I mash the gas, or go start to go up a hill it won't down shift. I tried yesterday stomping the gas and still didn't down shift. Is this normal? I never had a TH350 before so I have no clue. This is the trans I just had rebuilt. I will call the guy but it's VERY hard to Understand him on phone. Poor fella drank draino when he was a kid and it Fawked his mouth up! Ouch! Super nice fella tho. Anyways. Any thoughts from you guys that have experience with transmissions? Thanks fellas.

kushKrawlin said:
Well,. I didn't wanna hijack or start a new thread. But when drivin my rig around the neighborhood yesterday I notice one thing. It up shifts as expected.. And when/if I come to a stop sign will start off in first again. But it seems when I hit 3rd gear if I mash the gas, or go start to go up a hill it won't down shift. I tried yesterday stomping the gas and still didn't down shift. Is this normal? I never had a TH350 before so I have no clue. This is the trans I just had rebuilt. I will call the guy but it's VERY hard to Understand him on phone. Poor fella drank draino when he was a kid and it Fawked his mouth up! Ouch! Super nice fella tho. Anyways. Any thoughts from you guys that have experience with transmissions? Thanks fellas.

Sounds like the kickdown cable isn't hooked up. It attaches to a detent thingy inside the pan, and exits on the passenger side infront of the dip stick tube and would normally run up to the throttle arm, not sure how that works on the propane mixer tho. See if this is still on the trans or not.

Will it downshift when you click it down a gear? The cable is just for passing gear really, it doesn't affect anything besides that, if you can live with dropping a gear manually I wouldn't even worry about it. EDIT** just don't make the transmission try to pull in to high of a gear. If you think it should downshift just go ahead and pop it down a gear and then shift it back up.

kushKrawlin said:
Put a manual valve body in and shift manually - problem solved ;D

kushKrawlin said:

Kush,

Didn't you post a picture up one time and you had a bolt or something in that linkage with nothing hooked to it? Maybe my memory is wrong, but I could have sworn someone mentioned this about your rig. May have been about the same time you said you had a drywall screw somewhere on it that you didn't want to remove! I know I didn't dream that up either.

And are you kidding about the DRAINO thing?

FlatlandFSJ said:
Sounds like the kickdown cable isn't hooked up. It attaches to a detent thingy inside the pan, and exits on the passenger side infront of the dip stick tube and would normally run up to the throttle arm, not sure how that works on the propane mixer tho. See if this is still on the trans or not.

Will it downshift when you click it down a gear? The cable is just for passing gear really, it doesn't affect anything besides that, if you can live with dropping a gear manually I wouldn't even worry about it. EDIT** just don't make the transmission try to pull in to high of a gear. If you think it should downshift just go ahead and pop it down a gear and then shift it back up.
Turbo 400 doesnt have a kick down cable turbo 350 does

Re: Ftoy #518 build
« Reply #245 on: March 23, 2015, 07:25:48 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote
Quote from: hjpcummins on March 08, 2015, 04:29:07 PM
Ended up just going the local route with the brake lines. But im ordering spare parts online.

Ther are a few things iv overlooked On the th350
the tv cable is non existant. What are most doing about plugging it (rtv?) I'd rather plug it, but Google 85 coming up empty with a cheap fix besides rtv.

Are most also blocking off the vacume port?

Hey! I bet that is where the drywAll screw is on mine!! I never wanted to mess with it cause it works. But dam sure got a screw In mine.

CASEY MARLOW Burnin on a budget.. Sad

And Thanks to some really swell fellas..
-- REDNECK LIGHTS! "LIGHT POW'R!!"
-- DAVE'S OFFROAD SUPPLY
-- most important .. ME ..

Drywall screw!! Hahaha. Never touched it. Now I can stop wondering. It's not that big of deal to down shift. Thanks! still wondered what that thing was. Ha.
rpf500 said:
Kush,

Didn't you post a picture up one time and you had a bolt or something in that linkage with nothing hooked to it? Maybe my memory is wrong, but I could have sworn someone mentioned this about your rig. May have been about the same time you said you had a drywall screw somewhere on it that you didn't want to remove! I know I didn't dream that up either.

And are you kidding about the DRAINO thing?
DUUUDE. Good memory. And yes!! I'm serious bro. Man I tell u I feel sorry for him. Super nice guy but so hard to understand. He's cool tho. I just wouldnt call him to shoot the **** Ya know? Ha
FlatlandFSJ said:
Kush is got a th350 in his rig :****:
Thanks man!!! Jesus lord I can just see me burning that bitch up. Ha. Wata moron. Riding around stompin it wonderin why it wouldn't downshift! Haha

You can use a freeze plug in the hole for the kickdown cable. Looks clean and won't leak.

Re:

I have a problem with a 400 not shifting found this thread put a modulator on and still won't shift out of first. Its on a pos camper, when I checked the fluid it didn't touch the stick, added fluid and still no shift. BTW its not my camper but I'm footing the tow bill(350 bux)

I've checked vacuum and its good at the modulator. The fluid is nasty and smells burnt. If y'all can give me pointers where to look it would be very much appreciated.

Side note it sucks to be fat and work on a camper that has 4.7895" of ground clearance.