• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

the best safety glasses ever?

crash said:
Myself I prefer a full face shield...

that is about all that will work really good.

I just use my hood and stay the hell out of the way of stuff. I have been very lucky, I only have had 2 times I have to have something taken out of my eye in 20 years.

and I don't wast my money on a self darkening hood.:D

Danno...

I used to distribute and sell safety eyewear to the sports crowd as an alternative to expensive sunglasses. My thought was always that while yes it is great to have cool sunglasses...who wants to ruin them, or worse lose them on a trail, mountain biking, kayaking, boarding etc. For $5.00 a pair you could throw the safety glasses in the fire if you wanted...and still have your nice sunglasses for pimping for ho's...

I personally like and sold the following brands:

CREWS
ERB
SEXTON (not sure if they are still around)
STARLITE
S&W

Sexton had the same thoughts I did and were designing some damn tight safety eyewear...

I usually carry 2 or three pair of glasses in my Scout...Yellow for dark driving and wrenching...clear for everything else. Red for night...

i have a pair of spy scoop hs's that i used as sunglesses and i busted the ear piece, so i bought some arnette sunglasses. i am thinking about buying clear lenses and fixing the ear piece on my spys. another option is i believe scott is the company that makes the quick slide out lenses. they are cool looking and very comfortable sunglasses. most of them come with smoked, clear, and yellow. so if you care about your stuff you wont lose them, and they will act as sunglasses, safety glasses, motorcycle if your into that. if you're willing to cash out on your eyes, which i think its worth it, thatd be the way to go.

I can't recall the brand, but they were used a few years back by bank robbers so they are harder to get now. Full size clear face mask shaped to your face with a filter screen to breath through. They had an adapter to hook up fresh air to as well.

Dude said:

X50

I hate them damn things. Especially in a work environment less than hermetically sealed. Love my old Fibermetal that I bought in 1988. :redneck:

OSHA rules say a full face shield must be used while using a grinder (with attached guard). Our company got dinged for this awile ago.

Find a set of glasses that fit you well, keep them clean my rinsing under running water to remove any dirt, grinding wheel dust, etc. then spray with some of that safety glass cleaner/anti-fog. I have a pair of Safetyvu glasses I bought at Walmart for like $5 that fit well, dont fog up. :redneck:

Dude said:

I like the uvex bandits safety glases, and will never use anything other than a auto darkening hood, I have a older speedglass 9000v (not a new one with lights and junk) and have never had a problem, unless you count being able to see as a problem:flipoff:

binderbound said:
I never was a believer in the whole' brand name sunglasses' thing. Who would spend $200 for a pair of glasses that are gonna get ruined in 2 months any way? My girlfriend bought me a pair of Oakley 'twentys' about 5 years ago. they have been the best sun glasses I have ever owned, period. Lense durability, ZERO fogging(even during strenious activities), stays attached to my face. If the safety glasses are as good as the sunglasses, i'm sold.

Not exactly safety goggles but....

FWIW out here we use Oakleys or Wilex X sunglasses. Ive seen guys get hit with IED's (Improvised explosive devices) or VBIED's (Car bombs) that have been messed up but kept their vision because of these glasses.

I use Oakley M Frames with clear lenses during MASCAL's (Mass Casualty Situations) and half jackets w/ dark polarized lenses the rest of the time (got 3 sets of lenses here). On my motorbike (GSX-R 750) Ive had the half jackets save my eyes a few times.

They fit well, dont fog up, and you have a ton of different lenses to choose from and can get prescription ones. They dont have ear loops but I use mine to play volleyball and football, they only fall off if I get hit in the head. The lenses switch out in a few seconds, good if you need tinted/polarized for driving or clear for working.

I like Barracuda and S&W for cheap glasses, but I wear whatever the contractor provides me on the job. I use WileyX-SG at home.

glasses, face sheild and or welding helmet..

use as much as you can...!!!.It sux when ur welding with safety glasses on and welding helmet and you still get hot slag in your eye!!! Perhaps a Darth vader helmet would work...

I knew a guy at Freightliner who got a piece of metal in his eye wearing safety glasses & full face sheild and still lost an eye!:wtf:

I pick these up a the local WT store, metal frame, the most scratch resistant I've found in the price range, and comfortable, most of the time I will use a shield and the glasses if I'm doing something where just glasses is not enough.
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/18877/nm/KLONDIKE_Protective_Eyewear
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/18878/nm/KLONDIKE_Protective_Eyewear
The pics show plastic frames, but they are metal frame, for a cheaper price you can get plastic.First link is clear and second link is blue lens. I have and use both and am very happy with these.

Last edited:
TB-F said:
I like the uvex bandits safety glases, and will never use anything other than a auto darkening hood, I have a older speedglass 9000v (not a new one with lights and junk) and have never had a problem, unless you count being able to see as a problem:flipoff:

Im right there with ya with the uvex glasses and speedglas hood!