• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The real weight! Rockwell vs. Ton

FlatlandFSJ said:
Who the hell needs to truss a rockwell?

I wonder what the big built 70/80 steer axles weigh. I cant see them being far off of a rock.
d5185edb3ddbd66b67d15593c3760dd1.jpg

This guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll say it again... I weighed these axle because they are the 3 I had laying around ... Not to compare them in strength money or desirablilty just simply giving raw weights ... Everyone always talks about his much they really weigh well here it is! The rock has oil in it and they don't hold 5 gallons . It would weigh 650lb with the shafts in it. The 60 has no flanges or tie Rod either ... Everyone builds an axle different so what they truss it with and tab it with will entirely change the weight ... These are good ball park ideas for engine to see

Mega truck guys truss em like that a lot for jumping there 10k rigs ... No need for rock bouncing in my opinion, I've bent one in 10 years and that's because I back flipped 5 times off a mountain

I'm sure the same things could be done to ton axles alike , I've contemplated drill holes in the knuckles like I have seen but can't justifie the slight loss of weight vs. strength

Rockwells607 said:
I'm sure the same things could be done to ton axles alike , I've contemplated drill holes in the knuckles like I have seen but can't justifie the slight loss of weight vs. strength

Agreed... When Xjpaddler finished up that sheetmetal housing, it was 79# heavier than a steer 60 complete and the rock had stock hubs, tierod, and a pinion brake on the scales ( stock axle shafts )

With the 24.5 # a piece lighter hubs and the 2" stuff , it still ought to be comparable to any built ton axle in weight. I'm satisfied anyway

Honestly I wanted rocks before the direction I have been trying to go now. I have driven both and the only problem I see with rocks is suspension. The top loader style just destroys your up travel. And I know when I went with my lugnut4x4 disc brake kit I shaved 40 pounds a side just in stock style brakes. Seems like if you wanted to get nit picky and spend some money it would be easier to shave weight on tons over rocks.

My last buggy had yota axles and 39s, the new one on steering rockwells and 44s handles way better, is more stable and I have less money in the rocks than I did the yotas. On a full bodied rig they might be hard to fit but I have 8" of up on both axles, and with the width and weight it never feels like it's going over. So in my opinion the weight isn't an issue at all.

BUG-E J said:
Honestly I wanted rocks before the direction I have been trying to go now. I have driven both and the only problem I see with rocks is suspension. The top loader style just destroys your up travel. And I know when I went with my lugnut4x4 disc brake kit I shaved 40 pounds a side just in stock style brakes. Seems like if you wanted to get nit picky and spend some money it would be easier to shave weight on tons over rocks.

I totally agree with this... Tons can go on a diet just as easy...

Hey Nate, can you get the spindle bolts off with your hubs machined like that? Ryan runs the Super 8 stuff with slip on rotors. It's so nice being able to pull an axle shaft without messing with the wheel bearings.

Not owning a set of rocks, I've always considered them bulletproof junkyard rear steer beef.... and whatever weight comes with them, so be it. But then I watched Ryan continually destroy stock shafts (both styles) with a V6. How many guys are running upgrade shafts in rockwells? To me, that kind of kills the deal if you're in money for upgrade shafts anyway.

I wheeled my last buggy for 2 years with stock shafts, (we did replace the u joints in them right off the bat tho) I never broke a single shaft and it got beat on pretty good, the guy that bought it after me finally did snap one tho. I do believe a lot of times there is a suspension issue that contributes in people that break a bunch of them.

Ya you can take em off flipped narrow when machined like this with no issues , hubs flipped wide you can take spindles off un machined too, nice because you can get in there fast and I've never seen anyone break rock shafts like Ryan , those 54s are a nightmare on axles , I always told him to put 44" tires on it and itd never break! I've broke a few rock shafts but nothing like him, he single handedly depleted everyone in NY from spare shafts lol !