• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The real weight! Rockwell vs. Ton

Rockwells607

We have had several threads on here but no one had actually weighed them in, I got my hands on some scales and have a few axles laying around so I weighed them
#1 debraked Rockwell steer axle with no shafts =600lbs

#2 HP Dana 60 trussed 35 spline with no tie rod or drive flanges =500lbs

#3 14Bolt rear trussed no calipers =350lbs

I have a pair of Ujoint rock shafts laying here and they are about 50lbs on the pair , so I'd Hafta say that a Rockwell isn't nearly the boat anchor that they have been stereo typed, a heavily trussed ton axle will weigh the same or VERY close to a stripped rockwell

Im not saying its not worth it but 150-200 lbs twice adds up to quite a bit of weight. Especially when you think of the great lengths and expense some go through to cut 5 lbs here and there with aluminum, gundrilled, slotted, etc moded gear.

The Rockwell has no calipers, rotors, truss, link mounts, steering arms, shafts.
Take all that off and do a real comparison.
Then post up the numbers.

I run a small caliper and rotor combined weight on maybe 10lbs... Not **** really and the tabs and link brackets arnt thah heavey either ... Sure they may add 30-40lbs more tops ... My point here is that they are no where near the 1000lb mark, that 60 I posted also has no tie Rod and is lightly trussed , most ton axles now have a **** tons of trussing added to them and thicker wall tubing ... Not that big of a weight difference imo

The point of this post isn't to bash either axle, most people on here are smart enough to make a good guess for their application with these weights ... Add or subtract what parts you have , me personally am very suprised that rocks weighed in this light , I have run them 10 years and alway figured them to be closer to the 1000lb mark

I wish you had a built 14 bolt steer axle that you could weigh, braced and thicker tubing, I bet the rock axle isn't much heavier at all, AND like I said a million times if your going to have weight have it down low.Im glad you did this by the way

I weighed both my steer axles as they were going into my last buggy. IIRC they were both right around 750 lbs with pinion brakes, steering, link brackets, and everything, no oil.

If anyone else has some axles laying around or knows their axle weight , post it up ... Should give us a good baseline and then with options ....