• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Tankinator

Gibby1

Did I BREAK that.......
Well, in keeping with tradition on my runner, my new doors are probably a little overkill.

I'm not done with all the finishing touches yet.

K2Blazen with nice enough to lend me his bender to get the majority of the tube work done. Along with the harbor freight kinker and tube notcher the tubing went together nicely. Many thanks to Jaydog who spent the greater part of a weekend helping me get the frame all put together.

The tube is 1.5" .120 DOM. The diamond plate is 1/8" and then some expanded metal was also used. I was able to use the factory hinges and latches, including the interior and exterior handles to open and close. The doors fit VERY tight and will not rattle. When I get the paint done it won't look so gawky or daunting. Right now the grey up against the red looks kind of odd.

DSC00057.JPG

DSC00058.JPG

I still plan to fashion an armrest here using the factory arm rest, so I haven't finished the interior. I am also going to be putting in a locking storage box between the lower upright tubes that will be water proof. However, using the heavy guage diamond plate was way overkill and way too much weight, so I need to go get some lighter plate or other sheet metal to finish this up.

DSC00059.JPG

For those of you that are bound and determined to stare at my welds and judge them; here's a close up of one for you.

DSC00060.JPG

From the front, I protected the body along the roof line and am able to tuck the mirrors away quite nicely. The outside handle is also tucked away enough that it shouldn't get damaged.

DSC00061.JPG

DSC00062.JPG

DSC00063.JPG

Damn man, Thats the only straight metal on your rig

Hence the reason for the replacement. No glass or mirrors left on the doors. I bought another set to replace them. Thought I got a smoking deal for $100. Well it was a good deal but they were off a pickup, not a 4Runner. Bolted them up and the suckers were 2" too long! Whoops...

I drove the rig from one end of the lot to the other and REALLY liked being able to actually see something. So I decided to ditch the doors. However, leaving all the factory hardware in place, I can put factory doors back on for the winter should I choose to.

Last edited:
Looks good Dale...

I used diamond plate for my foot steps and 1/8" above the sliders... But, I don't have functioning doors...

Those should be nice on the Busy...

Looks good Dale...

I used diamond plate for my foot steps and 1/8" above the sliders... But, I don't have functioning doors...

Those should be nice on the Busy...

I'm too old to not have functioning doors.:haha:

Everything I've done on this rig, pretty much has the busy in mind.

Gibby, you should do a step by step, with pics....we can move it to the tech write-ups/how to's section! Looks good & they should stand up to some abuse!:awesomework:

Gibby, you should do a step by step, with pics....we can move it to the tech write-ups/how to's section! Looks good & they should stand up to some abuse!:awesomework:

The driver's door only has the tube frame done and hinges on so far. I doubt my work will be much of a tech write up since I'm by no means a great fabricator, but I do have a few ideas that may not follow the traditional ways of thinking:beer:

A friend of mine works in a metal scrap yard and brought over a sheet of 1/16" sheet metal that will be PERFECT for the storage boxes. I hope to finish the passenger door box, a little touch up on a few places that are still rough, make a tab for push the little button that turns off the interior light, and mount an interior arm rest.

Finally, throw some paint on it and call the passenger side done.

now you can get back at all those trees that damaged your sheetmetal like a cheese grater:haha::haha::haha:

looks good and should keep all the sticks and stuff from coming inside. i had a branch smack my hand on the steering wheel once so hard i think it might have broken it.

hence why a made plywood doors for mine, they are now aluminium but doors are nice. keeps the heat in on snow runs.

There's a good Idea, then we would have something to referance when we do the back :haha:

I still say we tube the whole thing out and lower is a few feet :redneck:

I haven't been at it for a week.

I started working on the rock sled today though.

Back at the doors tomorrow after church I hope. Well, that's the plan. I'll try to do more pics.