• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Turtle Build

CheapJ7

Mustache rides?
Picked up this Jewel yesterday.
96 model 2.7 5 speed
It needs a good bath and a thorough detail asap.

Plans are Bumpers, sliders, winch, 5:29's, Detroit rear
Lose the body lift and wheels/tires
OME 882 coils w/ bilsteins all around
camper shell
Stock wheels w/ 285's

Basically have a rig I can drive to work, but still wheel on the weekends :drinkers:

264457_10150213177110698_505935697_7315839_4993543_n.jpg

Re: My New Ride

Whitney named this rig the "Turtle" Cause its green, It will have a shell, and It's slooowww...

Looked up the gear code today and it has 3:58's.. WTF.. A 4cyl truck with that high of a gear. Apparently it came with a (225)28in tire stock...
The 4:88's should liven it up, but It looks like i'm going to have to buy new carriers as well... sucks

Bones said:
5.29's IMO would be ideal

I really want 5:29's, but they are expensive for the reverse 7.5 ifs front plus I have about a 30 minute interstate drive 2 times a day 6 days a week...
w56 to top shift to taco case are in the future for wheeling purposes...

All the gear calculators say 5:29s are waaay to low for 70mph.. They actually say 4:88 in to low, but I think it will be about right.

these trucks went to 4:10's stock in 2000... ::)

Houston.. We've reached mall crawler status...
255142_10150215439000698_505935697_7340362_69172_n.jpg

Sliders and steering rack bushings are in route.
Ordering gears and lockers as soon as I can figure out exactly what I need...

Anyone Intersted in building some bumpers?

Bones said:
I hope the 4.88's cut it once you load the bitch up, topper, sliders, winch, etc. is all.

I know... That's why I haven't ordered gears yet.. I'm still on the fence.

5:29's it is!

Double tcases are in the plans...

Marlin sells an adapter to go from taco tranny to gear drive case back to taco case...
I'm just gna swap in a w56 tranny out of 86-94 truck, use my w59 bellhousing, install top shift, then only have to buy one fancy expensive adapter to get back to my taco case.

I just hate the idea of having a chain drive case at the rear of my doubler... Inchworm "lefty" is a good option, but more expensive than an Atlas... :flipoff1:

I do know this grouchy old sumbitch who might if you talk nice to him. :drinkers: on you! By the way, you got a good place to shoot 'round there?

CheapJ7 said:
5:29's it is!

Double tcases are in the plans...

Marlin sells an adapter to go from taco tranny to gear drive case back to taco case...
I'm just gna swap in a w56 tranny out of 86-94 truck, use my w59 bellhousing, install top shift, then only have to buy one fancy expensive adapter to get back to my taco case.

I just hate the idea of having a chain drive case at the rear of my doubler... Inchworm "lefty" is a good option, but more expensive than an Atlas... :flipoff1:
Good call. Keep it drivers drop without eventually cutting off the IFS and making it an abortion like your last Tacoma :flipoff1:

Bones said:
Good call. Keep it drivers drop without eventually cutting off the IFS and making it an abortion like your last Tacoma :flipoff1:

This one will get long travel before it gets a straight axle... :flipoff1:

BustedKnucklefilms said:
Long travel it and race ecors A class! :driving:
Not enough horses under the hood.. :flipoff1:

Finally decided to go 5:29's, Rear detroit, front Detroit Tru-Trac (Better than open, but shouldn't be a parts breaker...)
I debated ARB, but I just don't like the idea of being either open or welded. Especially in the Front.

Picking up the steel this weekend to build a rear bumper similar to this one. Plan on trimming the bedside and adding some side protection.
Still undecided on what to do about a front bumper.

4504190073_medium.jpg

Ran a Tru-Trac in the front years ago. It's a good choice for street because it works seamlessly, you'll never know it's there. No tire chirping, ticking or doing the in and out thing on slick pavement. Offroad, it does not lock up completely ever, it acts like a clutch type limited slip without the shudder. It will pull better than a limited slip, but it won't pull you up out of a wet creekbed. IMO a lunchbox locker is a better choice. It'll tick and chirp and they really suck in the front on slick snow or ice, but how much snow and ice do you drive in? Hell, they shut down everything in Walker county for drizzle! :flipoff1:

doctordick said:
Ran a Tru-Trac in the front years ago. It's a good choice for street because it works seamlessly, you'll never know it's there. No tire chirping, ticking or doing the in and out thing on slick pavement. Offroad, it does not lock up completely ever, it acts like a clutch type limited slip without the shudder. It will pull better than a limited slip, but it won't pull you up out of a wet creekbed. IMO a lunchbox locker is a better choice. It'll tick and chirp and they really suck in the front on slick snow or ice, but how much snow and ice do you drive in? Hell, they shut down everything in Walker county for drizzle! :flipoff1:

Ive ran two different tru-tracs... I hated it in the front of my Chevrolet with 39boggers, but loved it in the front of my CJ with 33's... I'm not so much worried about it not completely locking up, because I don't want to start shucking cv's or front spiders.

Give me a call in the next few weeks, Im going to need my expert gear man. we need to work something out.