• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Thinking about buying a Jet Boat

Yeah, I kind of was wondering about the power comments. I don't know what motors our old Sea Doos had but I once got mine up to [A RATE OF SPEED SOMEWHAT CLOSE TO 75MPH, ALTHOUGH CERTAINLY NOT 75MPH AS THE FACTORY SPEEDOMETERS ARE NEVER ACCURATE]. Nothing else on the water could keep up with them. It was really scary and you had to wait for those rare glass-water days to do that. Most days you were just cruising wishing you could open it up without killing yourself. I grant you that a bigger boat won't go as fast but that's not what I'm looking for now either.

ibrokeit said:
Pretty much. Find a smaller center console.
That's what I was thinking too. They are easy to maintain because you just hose them out when you get home. I sold this boat for $4500 a few years ago. It was really nice and pretty fast but just not big enough.

IMG_0923.JPG

WTH said:

I do not agree with what some are saying about the power. Maybe on a brand other than a Seadoo, but I don't think anyone that has ridden in one would say they are lacking on power. They come out of the hole fast, plane in no time. They really are like a jest ski just with more seats. Turn on a dime, 180's are easy.

I'm not saying they are under powered I'm saying they aren't efficient, jet's inherently are not. With the horse power they make they aren't that fast.
patooyee said:
Yeah, I kind of was wondering about the power comments. I don't know what motors our old Sea Doos had but I once got mine up to 75mph. Nothing else on the water could keep up with them. It was really scary and you had to wait for those rare glass-water days to do that. Most days you were just cruising wishing you could open it up without killing yourself. I grant you that a bigger boat won't go as fast but that's not what I'm looking for now either.

There are VERY VERY VERY few 75 mph jet ski's out there, probably as many as there are of actual 75 mph bass boats. Even the newer 200 hp plus skis aren't that fast when you put a GPS onboard. Not that that matters for your needs. On the other hand an outboard of a smaller HP on a comparable size boat will mean less $$ in fuel to run and they are easier to maintain if for nothing other than having fewer parts. Having owned and I/O and outboard boasts I would never have anything other than an outboard on a boat in the salt and under 35'.

The factory speedo said 75mph, that's all I had to go by. It felt like I was doing about mach 4.

patooyee said:
The factory speedo said 75mph, that's all I had to go by. It felt like I was doing about mach 4.
They are never right. For the record I was looking for a jet boat before I bought the one in the pic.

Spend the money up front for a better boat or you'll certainly end up as another one of the "2 best days of boat ownership" guys. I bought mine in 2011. It was an 08 with low hours (18 verified from the computer). In the time I had it, I added a depth gauge, new speakers, and a fuel filter. Other than that it was gas and oil. Zero issues. Mine ran a 250hp mercury optimax jet drive.

I sold it last month for a good price after owning it for 3.5 years. I was sad to see it go, but hated not having time to actually use it and seeing it sit in the yard.

If you want a sporty jet boat with a real motor (not a jet ski motor) check out a sugar and tango. They have 2 different cockpit layouts depending on what you prefer.

jta said:
They are never right. For the record I was looking for a jet boat before I bought the one in the pic.

Edited my original post for accuracy then. :)

A sea doo 185 utopia is another option for a mercury powered jet, though it's a bit bigger than you are looking for at 18'.

I have owned a couple of those jet boats...the one in the picture you posted is probably the best ever made. 4 stroke and virtually little maintenance, no more than checking oil for the most part. The 150hp Sportster is very good on gas also..stay away from anything 2 stroke that you use on the water, pure junk, whether its a jet ski, jet boat, or outboard

The 05-06 and up single engine 4tec Sportster would be my pick. A couple of us had them 3-4 years ago and ran them hard 3-4 days a week after work and weekends with no problems other than a $40 wear ring, which was caused by driver error.

While I firmly believe the Bombardier/SeaDoo is a better performing boat, they are piles of **** when it comes to working on them, or longevity. The Yamaha boats are considerably better constructed and thought out. We spent almost 6 months looking at boats and all the Seadoo boats looked rough, even ones that were only a few years old . Even the beat up Yamaha's looked better than the best Seadoo we looked at. We decided we didn't want somebody elses problem so we decided to go new and narrowed our choices down to a pontoon, and a Yamaha 242 limited. We ended up going with the pontoon because I want to build a float to go behind it that will carry 2 jetskis, and it just seemed like the pontoon was a better choice for that.

Do not buy a jet boat like that, they are disposable boats, get a center console. For your price range I'd look for a McKee 16-17, wahoo 17, Wellcraft v-18 0r v20. Don't worry about cosmetics, get a solid hull and a good motor. The motor is the biggest cost of any boat, but you have to have a solid foundation to hang it on. Look in fresh water areas. center consoles don't bring as much on lakes. If you find something you're interested in, send me a PM and i'll give you my opinion on it. I've been working on boats for 30 years. If you raise the budget some, I'd look for a fourstroke Yamaha, but your not going to find that for $5000. 88/90/115 Johnrudes V6 Mercurys, Johnrude loopers are decent motors and cheap to work on. Run from any SUzuki(corrosion), don't even think about a Force. Yamaha 2 strokes are great engines, but if theres something wrong, it can cost you a bunch of $$$ to fix

Re:

We have never gotten a full or even half season out of our jetski without it breaking, we had a 20' pontoon boat with 70 evenrude 2cycle, never had a problem. IMO stay away from jetdrives, they suck up everything; rocks, rope, hydrilla, you name it. They also need to be in at least 4ft or water before cranking.

The small jets like you have pictured are fun boats for sure. The yamahas are better quality but I don't think you will find them around $5k. The twin engine seadoos with 2 strokes are ok boats. If a motor goes bad you can get new one from SBT for less than $1k or typically it is just top end damage that can be repaired for $500 or less. The seadoos have a plastic impeller lining that cost $40 bucks and takes less than an hour to change out. Like said in other replies check compression, check impeller for bad nicks and always water test. One common problem is the small plastic oil lines from oil pump to carbs will break or come loose. They are easier to work on compared to a pwc because of engine bay size. The motors are time bombs but are easy and cheap to fix.

jason burt said:
The seadoos have a plastic impeller lining that cost $40 bucks and takes less than an hour to change out.

Is this called the "wear ring?"

jason burt said:
around $5k.

~$5k isn't necessarily my budget. I just don't fool myself into thinking any boat purchase is an "investment." I consider basically every dollar I spend on a boat as a dollar burned, no matter what kind of boat it is. I know I will never make any significant portion of money spent on a boat back. Like buggies, it is a loosing proposition, a "divestment." Therefore I would like to spend as little as humanly possible while still providing a fun experience for my family ... if I even purchase at all. To my family 75hp is probably just as much fun as 900hp. So there would be little return in paying extra for any unnecessary performance.

I refurbisbed a pontoon a few years ago and cleared about 4k. It can be done, but like anything else, you have to buy it cheap and do all the work yourself. But I do agree, boat money is usually disposable income.

cool boat, Sleek Craft Tunnel? but not for salt.

If your budget is higher than $5000, look for something with a 150 Yamaha on the back. Key West, Scout, Sea hunt, Sportsman, etc...If you run across a 17-21 Boston Whaler Outrage that isn't way overpriced. take a look at it. If you find something you like, post up a link.