• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Thoughts and Discussion.... IFS Rigs at KOH

P

If its free, its P
So Shannon Campbell is building an IFS Rig and Jimmys4x4 has been building one for a little time now.

My thoughts personally, I think its cool... BUT this is not an all out desert race and if the "Hammers" has the "real rocks" that everyone swings off of, dood IFS is going to be a PITA to drive in heavy rock unless they have done something revolutionary...

Im excited to see these rigs once they start posting pics and letting out details on what they did or how they did it differently
( Campbell has done one before, Randy Ellis has done one , and Walker Evans did IFS/IRS ) Im even more excited that we are going to be there in person and possibly see the sport evolve . I give props for them going outside of the box and gambling with a concept that hasnt worked well in the past by some of the best. Very cool step IMO. I dig truely innovative thinking and suspect at least on Campbells part that the financial aspect was thrown to the side and no money is going to be spared for the best parts and materials to make an IFS setup work to its fullest.

obviously its gonna scream balls across the whoops and fast sections.... but the rocks will tell the story if it gets sorted out or not at all. :popcorn:

I want to ride in one on the whoops...that is all.

I think it's awesome as well. This sport is evolving real fast ever since comps gained popularity. Hell watch carnage for the con and I laugh at all the puddin pushers that were out west, now they all mocks the boggers. laughing1

The dood from extreme engineering posted on here and said he owns the rig I was referring to that Shannon built...

Oh hellz yea !!

http://webpages.charter.net/drm1/p1010004.mpeg

And that Video is the very reason I bought It. I just have the chassis, Pimp ass interior and some other items that go along with it. That car never worked very good in the rocks a Shannon will tell you that. There is a ton of history in that car. Way back when CTM just started they had Jack make some 300m axles for it. But they could still not keep it together. That car was high dollar as well. Dry sump, Howe Steering rack, ect.. all before its time. I guess I am a sucker for rock crawling history. I just couldn't see it get scraped. That is what is so cool about the fact that he is building another one. He has been there and done that and has had many years to think of all the things he has learned in how to make a better one. The fact that guy's like Shannon and Rick D are building IFS cars is what this sport is all about. I Have my own thoughts of IFS in the rocks but if any body is going to make it work, i know where i will be putting my $$. Rick D. Has built a IFS, IRS car already. It was featured in CRAWL awhile back. Yellow I think. Both of these guys are VERY fast and live to race. They want to win as bad as the rest of us. The fact that they are hanging it out on a limb and not sticking with what they KNOW works, they certainly have my respect. This race is the ****. It is really pushing how we look at things. I look forward to meeting all you guys and racing you as well. I have a huge soft spot for the south and seeing as how I am not coming there anytime soon, I look forward to seeing all you out here.

Nick

XE said:
And that Video is the very reason I bought It. I just have the chassis, Pimp ass interior and some other items that go along with it. That car never worked very good in the rocks a Shannon will tell you that. There is a ton of history in that car. Way back when CTM just started they had Jack make some 300m axles for it. But they could still not keep it together. That car was high dollar as well. Dry sump, Howe Steering rack, ect.. all before its time. I guess I am a sucker for rock crawling history. I just couldn't see it get scraped. That is what is so cool about the fact that he is building another one. He has been there and done that and has had many years to think of all the things he has learned in how to make a better one. The fact that guy's like Shannon and Rick D are building IFS cars is what this sport is all about. I Have my own thoughts of IFS in the rocks but if any body is going to make it work, i know where i will be putting my $$. Rick D. Has built a IFS, IRS car already. It was featured in CRAWL awhile back. Yellow I think. Both of these guys are VERY fast and live to race. They want to win as bad as the rest of us. The fact that they are hanging it out on a limb and not sticking with what they KNOW works, they certainly have my respect. This race is the ****. It is really pushing how we look at things. I look forward to meeting all you guys and racing you as well. I have a huge soft spot for the south and seeing as how I am not coming there anytime soon, I look forward to seeing all you out here.

Nick

Well put Nick, I am looking fwd to wheeling with ya. Your rig was an inspiration for me to get into a buggy and also with trying to get my rig nicer and better looking. I am not a big fan of IFS, I think this race is won in the rocks but I think everybody has trophy truck fever and sess that going fast is "Cool". Fast is cool, but it is expensive. I don't see how these guys build new cars every year

For me it is about passion. Expense is an understatement. The sacrifice we put on our loved ones. The thought that goes into all of it. From the car, to race planning, crew, ect. But that is what it is all about. Pushing new ideas forward. Hell i put bypass shocks on my car over a year ago. I did it cause I was bored, Had them, And looking for a challenge. It has just went down hill from there. I like to learn and this is new. But I to have a bit of trophy buggy fever as well. It is hard not to respect all the technology that goes into desert cars. Ways to make them faster and make them survive this epic event. We are making history my friends.

Quote from: Matt O. on Today at 09:19:32 PM
I don't see how these guys build new cars every year

Builders get new ideas. My current car is the first of the many I have owned that I can truly say I am in love with it. I love everything about it, But could I make it better next time? Your damn right I can. So can most everbody else. So you sell and build new. Some guys have great product support and can apply that to the new car to offset the cost. For me, I live is a sub house, drive an older truck, never eat out, work my tail of and give my life to this sport so I can have what I do. I love it so I do whatever it takes.

P said:
The dood from extreme engineering posted on here and said he owns the rig I was referring to that Shannon built...

Oh hellz yea !!

http://webpages.charter.net/drm1/p1010004.mpeg

I remember drooling over that vid in 2001 or so, you know, a looooong time ago in the wheeling world.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

I can't wait to see this thing perform and how it holds up. If it can get through the rocks, it will eat peoples lunch since it should scream at speed in the desert. :woot:

Walker's attempt back in the day... this thing was way beef but as you can see, it just laid frame all over the place with IFS IRS

pict2243.jpg

pict2597.jpg

pict2248.jpg

pict2610.jpg

I think with a beefy ass setup a rig like pictured above would SCREEEEEEEEAM in XRRA..... just jump the rock obstacles... :woot:

laughing1