• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Throttle hopping???

Metalbender

-=WTF=-
What causes throttle hopping??? I have a 4 link rear 85% anit squat with tj front coils, and my front is f150 rear leaf springs in the front. I have what I think is too much throttle hopping when I gen the skinnny pedal..............

What causes throttle hopping??? I have a 4 link rear 85% anit squat with tj front coils, and my front is f150 rear leaf springs in the front. I have what I think is too much throttle hopping when I gen the skinnny pedal..............

Where is conover when you need him--he's magic with this stuff. What style of 4 link are you runing?

My guess is the front leafs are some of your problem. What shocks are you running on the rear what size tire and wheel combo and how bout a pic of the link setup

a standard triangled 4 link all 4 links the same lengths 30degree on uppers
15 degree on the lowers 12 inch seperation

My guess is the front leafs are some of your problem. What shocks are you running on the rear what size tire and wheel combo and how bout a pic of the link setup

What he said :redneck:

It could be front axle wrap--could be tire wrap. Mine hops a little but I can see my tires wrapping up--I wouls suspect if I went to a 17" wheel/tire combo my problems would be cured...

I run a long soft front spring f150 rear springs, I am running 2" sway-a-way coilover shocks in the rear with out the coil springs. I have 17" Krawlers
I will see if I can dig up a pick of the back

I run a long soft front spring f150 rear springs, I am running 2" sway-a-way coilover shocks in the rear with out the coil springs. I have 17" Krawlers
I will see if I can dig up a pick of the back

You said it first, long soft spring. How did you setup your shocks

Definition...

What does 85% AS actually mean on this board?
Did PBB ever reach a conclusion? Haven't been there in a long time!:rolleyes:

150% AS is the suspension rises 1/2 available travel from ride ht.
100% AS is the suspension is neutral when power is applied.
50% AS is the suspension drops 50% of available travel from RH when power is applied.

Or is it 85% AS is that the susp rises 85% of travel from RH under power....

Just curious how you all are using the terminology.:beer:

"Antisquat %" doesn't mean **** and it has absolutely nothing to do with "available trave from ride ht". It is based on a formula, and I would bet that 90% of the people who think they know what their "antisquat %" is just made a wild guess at the CG location, so their number probably isn't accurate anyway. If you must know, 100% antisquat is a neutral suspension, > 100% is a suspension that rises, < 100% squats. The farther you are from 100% the more it jacks or rises (in theory), but there is no way to quantify that to a percentage of available travel. Don't forget that as your ride height changes, "antisquat %" changes too.

Cliffs notes: "antisquat" is useful for talking about theory, but doesn't mean much in real life.

"Antisquat %" doesn't mean **** and it has absolutely nothing to do with "available trave from ride ht". It is based on a formula, and I would bet that 90% of the people who think they know what their "antisquat %" is just made a wild guess at the CG location, so their number probably isn't accurate anyway. If you must know, 100% antisquat is a neutral suspension, > 100% is a suspension that rises, < 100% squats. The farther you are from 100% the more it jacks or rises (in theory), but there is no way to quantify that to a percentage of available travel. Don't forget that as your ride height changes, "antisquat %" changes too.

Cliffs notes: "antisquat" is useful for talking about theory, but doesn't mean much in real life.

"100% anti-squat is a neutral suspension, > 100% is a suspension that rises, < 100% squats."

So you just said paraphrased:
100% is Neutral.
100% Rises.
100% Squats.

Ummmm, what? Theoretically speaking.

Then you said:

"The farther you are from 100% the more it jacks or rises (in theory), but there is no way to quantify that to a percentage of available travel."

Actually as you stated the equation you can absolutely do that. but nevermind.

I understand your position. Not your math.

"Don't forget that as your ride height changes, "antisquat %" changes too."

Absolutely, but I wasn't going to cornfuze the issue with reality!:awesomework:

So you just said paraphrased:
100% is Neutral.
100% Rises.
100% Squats.

Ummmm, what? Theoretically speaking.

Look again, you missed some important symbols...

Then you said:

"The farther you are from 100% the more it jacks or rises (in theory), but there is no way to quantify that to a percentage of available travel."

Actually as you stated the equation you can absolutely do that. but nevermind.

Maybe you don't understand what quantify means. Antisquat is not a measurement of how much distance the suspension rises or squats, so there is no way to correlate % antisquat to % of suspension movement.

"Look again, you missed some important symbols..."

You are correct My error!:looser:

"Maybe you don't understand what quantify means. Antisquat is not a measurement of how much distance the suspension rises or squats, so there is no way to correlate % antisquat to % of suspension movement."

IF it can not be quantified it can not be measured. Period!
IF that is true then it simply does not exist.
IF it does not exist then you are correct, there is no percentage.

None of this theory is what I was looking for in the first place!
I understand the theory just fine been doing this for years, and I can handle the designing ok-doke.

You did answer my question as long as the rest here agree...

100% is no torque induced movement.
Less then 100% is chassis down movement.
More then 100% is up movement.

The amount of movement is not quantified, nor is anything else.
Therefore as you say the % is bogus, except to indicate direction.
This is of course not true as it is directly calculable but I'll stay away from that area for now.:beer:

We also agree that 99% of the numbers are bogus, but that is another thread:D

I do know that arguing about antisquat will not help me figure out my hop agree with stompinjab, I watched the front end today and I have some signifigant spring wrap in the front and none in the rear

I do know that arguing about antisquat will not help me figure out my hop agree with stompinjab, I watched the front end today and I have some signifigant spring wrap in the front and none in the rear

Oh ok...
If you have a half way correct geometry and the spring rate is close in the rear then the "Hop" would be in the tire.

The reason that I asked what the %-AS was is because if you have too much AS you can get a link to hop... And it can be a bitch and snap parts faster then...

So I R sorry bout the hijack. You might try getting more weight transfer (squat) which would unload the front a tick and might get the front to run smoother and load the rear enough to over ride the hoppity-hop.

Just an idea.

:rolleyes: :beer: