• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tig?

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So I am not in the market for a machine right now but depending on my budget for my new rig I might be "looking"..

So I don't need the big bad boy because I know they are bank and its sole purpose will be aluminum.

My welder is only DC so it requires a spool gun and I just hate how the welds turn out. I will mainly be using it for interior panels.

So whats a good "not crazy" expensive machine?

Thermadyne and miller, both have nice hobby units that are fairly inexpensive. I do like Esab's new little units too.

I have Bobby Long's old Miller Syncrowave 200 TIG machine we use it for everything we build for the race cars, its an air cooled machine so thicker aluminum it can get hot but we modded it to run an after market water cooler. Would be nice to have some more juice but it works fine and i picked it up with 5 hours on the machine for a grand I think 5 years ago now? We probably have several hundred hours on it now.

I like the Miller TIG machines myself personal preference though

The new version would be the syncrowave 210 they run around 2600 I think, but keep your eye out for a little older machine on CL, you can look at all the manuals on millers site to figure out how to check the hours, you can also check the points in them as well to see how worn they are just gotta pull the side cover off with the electrical components in them.

Thanks for the input guys.. I have time to look at stuff and will depend on my budget on the new rig when I hit that point. :awesomework:

Come over to Toms this weekend and fiddle with his new Tig unit. He got it for christmas and has been using it on the bomber. I'm sure he would let you stick a few pieces of metal together to see how you like it.

Come over to Toms this weekend and fiddle with his new Tig unit. He got it for christmas and has been using it on the bomber. I'm sure he would let you stick a few pieces of metal together to see how you like it.

what did he get?

Some sort of Lincoln masheen. I want to say it is a 120A unit. He is still figuring out how to stack those dimes, but the welds are looking better every day.

They are on the pricey side but hands down the best all round welder I have used is the miller xmt. We use them at work all day. They run stick, mig, tig and aluminum.

Thanks for the input folks I am going to grab the new CK 200 next week and start blastin **** :bbbball: