• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

tips on ID'n detroit.

stano

Quick back story. Bought a Jeep that has a built Dynatrac HP 60 in the rear(I know, not ideal, but it's paid for, so gonna run it). Last time I had the cover off, I noticed a few chipped teeth, but didn't have time to re gear then. Now I'm looking to re gear but don't know if I need the thick gear or the normal one? Current gears are 4:88's, with a Detroit locker. I know I can measure the locker once I remove it, but I'd like to have the correct parts sitting here so when I pull it I can go right back. Any tips on which gears set I need?

I want to say all the aftermarket hp 60 gears are thick cut my old buggy had a factory 4.88 r&p set thin cut and to run a spool I had to run a ring gear spacer.

You can pull the cover and measure ring gear thickness. Then when you call for your new gear set, ask them to measure the ring gear. Bam you done

al1tonyota said:
I want to say all the aftermarket hp 60 gears are thick cut my old buggy had a factory 4.88 r&p set thin cut and to run a spool I had to run a ring gear spacer.

I thought about calling dynatrac and seeing what they typically install, but there aren't any guarantees somebody didn't mess with it between them and me......

LightBnDr said:
You can pull the cover and measure ring gear thickness. Then when you call for your new gear set, ask them to measure the ring gear. Bam you done

Had that thought, just trying to eliminate as many variables as possible, ie, human error and me measuring differently that the dude on the other end of the phone........thx guys, I'll see what happens and report back when I figure it out..