• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

tire groovin

depends on what you want. I have seen some impressive work done with a small chain saw(on outer lugs) I have always wanted to try using a router myself

ive heard of chainsaws working good and chainsaw blades on grinders
i was thinkin maybe a 5-15 dollar blade or a dollar in gas is about all im spendin

you mean like this? I use this for carving soft wood and its the scaryist tool I own. I cant imagine trying to use it on rubber. Better have one heck of a grip and good health insurance.

Attachments

• scarytool.jpg
    scarytool.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 154
nice handguard there :D That thing does look really scary...I can see fingers flying already!:eeek:

Someone on here said they used a circular saw to groove their tires...something about a quart of motor oil to lube it?

skilsaw

i once used a skilsaw (worm drive cir saw) to groove some 50% SSR's, just set the blade about a quarter inch deep and go, doesnt make a very wide groove though, and it makes some smoke, pretty ghetto, but it made the tires work much better on hardpack snow.

dangerous toy said:
i once used a skilsaw (worm drive cir saw) to groove some 50% SSR's, just set the blade about a quarter inch deep and go, doesnt make a very wide groove though, and it makes some smoke, pretty ghetto, but it made the tires work much better on hardpack snow.

thats exactly what i was tryin to work on

pokey said:
you mean like this? I use this for carving soft wood and its the scaryist tool I own. I cant imagine trying to use it on rubber. Better have one heck of a grip and good health insurance.

forget the Texas Chainsaw Masacre..... Washinton Grindersaw Masacre

bend a hacksaw blade into a u shape and set your arc welder as low as it will go and hook clamp leads to each side and go to town cuttin hot butter...:redneck:

79chevy39.5's said:
his post says hell do 10 a tire for standard groovin

I'll do any design for 10 a tire. Unless its a 42 or bigger.

EDIT: I cannot groove tires til March.

Last edited:
I did mine with a small electric chainsaw it worked real well. It was fast and no smoke. I did try the big Stihl and it was alot harder to control.