• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tire shipping

Big tires, little tires? Any sort of LTL carrier (less than truckload), are what you would need for freight style shipments. We use Southeastern Freight a lot at work, like mentioned above, and they have always done a great job. We also use USF Holland, Con-Way Freight, R&L Carriers, Estes, etc.... Little tires like UTV tires, you should be able to put some shrink wrap around each tires (purpose: to have something to stick a shipping label to) and ship individually with any small package carrier like USPS, Fedex, or UPS.

I'm unsure of standard costs for LTL freight shipments, as we generally get corporate discounted rates with carriers at work, but I do see what WE pay for it when I schedule shipments. Based from that, prices usually vary depending on terminal locations. If there is not a terminal near you or where you are shipping to, that LTL carrier will charge more than the carrier that has one near both the ship from and ship to destination. Usually it is more than double what some of the carriers charge too, because of the distance they have to travel from the terminal to make delivery. Some even are partnered with other LTL freight companies and if they don't have a terminal in the ship to area, they will pass it off to another carrier somewhere during transit for final delivery.

Best thing to do is spend some time calling each carrier that you can obtain a number for via Google and compare quotes per each carrier. You should be able to schedule residential home pickup all over the phone and them come to you. Don't hold me to that, because I don't deal with residential shipments, but I'm under the impression of that's how it works. It would also be best if you could already have them secured to a pallet somehow.

List of LTL carriers that service the Southeast from the top of my head: Yellow Freight, Roadway, USF Holland, Fedex Freight, UPS Freight, Southeastern Freight, Estes, R&L Carriers, ABF Freight, AAA Cooper, etc.

If you don't have an account with a carrier.... Call and set one up if you have a business location you can use. It'll save you considerable amount on shipping costs.

Fastenal has done me well through the last few months shipping 37s. Doesn't hurt to get in touch with a rep there and get a price, or any of the above work good too

Best bet is to check with logistics company's. They get much better rates then u will. Trust me I work for an lol company. Some company to look at ar

Freight qoute.com
logistics plus
Unishipper

I highly reccomend Fastenal if it works for both parties. I've used them twice now, once to ship a set of wheels, and once to get a Miller 251 shipped to me. both were easy to set up, and cost less than $200.

Re: Re: Re: Tire shipping

screamn56 said:
Best bet is to check with logistics company's. They get much better rates then u will. Trust me I work for an lol company. Some company to look at ar

Freight qoute.com
logistics plus
Unishipper

^^^ good info for your average joe trying to ship LTL. I never have done it outside of work, so those seem to be the way to go. We have a system similar to that Freight Manager, where we enter ship to destination, weight, dims, and pcs, and it populates a list of all the LTL carriers that service the area and organizes them by price. So judging by what I briefly read on Unishipper's website, that seems to be relatively the same thing we use, but available to the public. Awesome!

Re: Re: Re: Tire shipping

hokie_yj said:
I highly reccomend Fastenal if it works for both parties. I've used them twice now, once to ship a set of wheels, and once to get a Miller 251 shipped to me. both were easy to set up, and cost less than $200.

Also good info, I was not aware Fastenal offered such services.

Im not sure if they do big tars, but greyhound also will ship from terminal to terminal for very cheap. Might be worth looking into. I had a new mustang cobra bumper shipped to me that way and it was in perfect condition when it arrived.

Just had a set of 4 42" Pitbull Rockers mounted on steel beadlocks shipped from Mississippi to Indiana through Fastenal. Only cost $120. Great service and easy to set up. Google "Fastenal 3rd party shipping". thumb.gif

Currently waiting on a quote from Fastenal. Southeastern Freight was $330 for residential, $250 business to business. Had to pass on that one.

Re:

That's crazy. I can send a pallet of boxes that weighs 500 lbs to Orlando, FL from North AL for $83.43 with Southeastern. The only one it shows on our optimizer cheaper than that, is AAA Cooper and they are $58.91.

Out of curiosity, what are your ship to and ship from ship zip codes? I'll put em in our optimizer and let you compare prices that way and see who may be the cheapest to call for your area. But maybe Fastenal will work out.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
That's crazy. I can send a pallet of boxes that weighs 500 lbs to Orlando, FL from North AL for $83.43 with Southeastern. The only one it shows on our optimizer cheaper than that, is AAA Cooper and they are $58.91.

Out of curiosity, what are your ship to and ship from ship zip codes? I'll put em in our optimizer and let you compare prices that way and see who may be the cheapest to call for your area. But maybe Fastenal will work out.
41143 to 35811. I thought that was pretty outrageous myself.

Re:

pjprice said:
41143 to 35811. I thought that was pretty outrageous myself.

Southeastern must not have a terminal near where you are at, that's why it's so high. They didn't even come up in the search results with those zip codes entered. I quoted a standard sized pallet weighing 500 lbs with those zips and here are the results in order from cheapest to priciest: Estes Expresss, Con-Way Freight, AAA Cooper, then ABF Freight. Estes was $75.58 at our company rate and the highest (AAA Cooper) was still only $96.95, the others were in the mid $80's. I would give all them a call if Fastenal doesn't work out.

Estes - 423-894-8855
Con-Way - 256-538-1635
AAA Cooper - 256-845-0019
ABF Freight - 256-355-8920

Those are all specific terminal numbers so should be no bullshit waiting on the line. Tell em where you are located and that you need a quote on a shipment and if they can't give it to you on the spot, they'll transfer you to someone who will be able to. I'm interested to know what rates you will be able to get compared to ours, so let me know if you end up obtaining price quotes. My guess is they will be MUCH cheaper than $330, even at standard civilian rates.