• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tire talk.... tow rigs...

Trevor said:
Nope, that is a 35. 305 is a 33 (roughly)

OK--Thanks trev. Talking to jason he had made mention to going with a 33" tire on the tow rig--so tossing ideas around since I need new rubber by the hangover run so I don't die on the pass :D

285's fit perfect on mine with a small amount of trimming to the front inner part of my running boards. Any more and I would need to cut a lot of the inner fender or put on a levelling kit to be able to turn without rubbing. If you don't have running boards, and want to trim some of the inner fender liner, then you could probably run 305's or 315's, but otherwise 285's are probably the sweet spot. Mine measure out to a smell under 33" tall.

crash said:
Is the metric quivilant to a 33" tire 315 ?
It just ain't that simple. "315" refers only to the tire's width. You have to take into account the wheel diameter and sidewall ratio.

Hey guy, the second number is used to determine the sidewall height. Its a dumb system but:

First number is the width of a tire in millimeters.
Second number is a percentage.
Third number is the rim diameter in inches.

Example: 305/70/R15
305 (12") is the width. 70 means, 70% of the width (305mm) is what makes the sidewall height. And obviously R15, means rim diameter is 15".

the thing people forget is that the metric system of tire measurment is just as random as standard measurments, a 315 that is sposed to be a 35 will measure 33 or maybe 34 or sometimes they are 35. Depends on brand just like US tires. 315 mtr's measure 34 and wear like iron on diesel tow rigs. And any tire shop will tell you most 285's convert to 33's.

if anyone mentions 315 for these trucks. it's a 315/75/16, there is really no need to ramble off the rest. They're just not common.. I doubt Crash will throw a 315/35/18 on there from a Vette or anything. 285/75/16's are the closest to the 33 and that's what most people run.. My 305/70/16's are just a tiny bit shorter then the 285. But fill up my fender flares mo betta. But after seeing a picture of my truck with the 315's on it recently, yea I'm going back. 285's fit fine stock, but start getting any bigger you have to level the truck out and get the right backspacing to not rub.

no excuses said:
yah but then u would have to switch to a set of puny brakes:flipoff:

How does going from a 16" rim to a 16.5" rim decrease caliper clearance?

Did I miss something?

for mikey i recomend a set of m55's...

or he can be cool like me and throw down some 35-12.5-18's.. load range E of course!

and i dont worry about brake clearance (then again these 16" bears look nice...)

Are the 305 and 315 availible in E load range??

Crash, I think you would really need a set of E load range tires.

Your engine weights alot more then mine, you have a bigger camper.

I have the 315 in D load range, really wish I would have found E Range

It make your truck a little more stable, and not round side to side as much going down the road.

Toyo Open Country M/Ts and Hankook Dynapro RT03s were the only Load Range E, 10 ply rated tires in 315/75R16 that I could find. I went with the Toyo M/Ts and couldn't be happier with them.

sucmah said:
315 mtr's measure 34 and wear like iron on diesel tow rigs.

Not available with Load Range E, 10 ply rating. I just can't see running anything less on rig that sees frequent hauling and towing.

Latest posts