• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

tj or yj im am in a rutt. please help pull me out

RCYJ

i have 3 great opportunities but i need to make a decision soon. i have a chance to get in to a 1993 yj well here is the link i hope it is still good as you guys read this. http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/1085133918.html it has a lot of great stuff. some of my buddies who have been wheelin for a while way that a t.j. is better i have a chance to get
in to a 1997 or a 2000

the 1998 has a suspension lift on it i i dont know what kind it was installed at les schwabs so idk about how well it was done. we think it is pro comp but i very well could be wrong. it is 4.5 inches and he did not have a s.y.e. installed :looser: and there is 160,000 miles but it feels like it runs great.

the 2000 has virgin suspension has a 3 in body lift done at randy off road in smokey point has all the documents and has been used as a commuter vehicle that looks cool with 31's i would be buying it from the 2nd owner. he had the lift and tires done. he bought it from an old lady. the under carriage is very clean other then just gravel dirt form the driveway and road grime so it has not been wheeled. this has 127,000 miles and it also runs great no sounds at all and every thing smells and sounds to be running healthy.
any information will help! along with suggestions!
i dont have a tone of money to do mods after i buy it. please keep that in mind
thanks

Last edited:
Sooooo....

Just to answer the TJ Vs YJ debate only. Here are a couple basic facts (challenges invited as this is a good question).

1) On the highway a lifted YJ is outright scary to drive. A lifted TJ won't handle perfectly but feels much safer and more controlled. (Jeeps became every day drivers when coil springs and solid controll arms were added due to the improved road manners.)

2) YJ spring-over conversions are a LOT more dificult than simply flipping the perches.

3) No matter how much you lift a TJ, you will still have brackets hanging down 2-4" below the axle.:mad:

4) My sources tell me that used YJ parts are more expensive now than TJ parts because of age.

5) If your lifting more than 3 1/2" its probably easier and cheeper to lift a YJ.

6) Square headlights vs round = Personal opinion.

7) Most/(all ??) TJ's have airbags. A builder probably won't want to deal with them, but if you crash on the highway....

Good luck Bro. :awesomework:

The TJ is definately better when it comes to driving down the highway, i drove my YJ for 2 1/2 years every day as a Daily driver 35 miles each way to work.

But if your planning to lift the TJ high to clear like 35s its going to cost a lot more than the YJ. The TJ also has a little better soft top which seals better to reduce road noise (IMO).

I personally like the looks of the YJ's better, they also feel bigger on the inside to me.

What size tires you want to run? What kind of mods you plan to do? And the most important ? how much are you planning to spend? :corn:

i am looking at 2 tjs one has suspension lift and the other is a 2000 just sitting on a 3 inch body.the one with the suspension lift here is the link for it. i just found it reposed. http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/1092976270.html
the 2000 has 31i think they might be 33s though but i want to work up to 35s eventually but as long as i can still wheel it right now then anything is ok for right now im eventually go to a pro comp or skyjacker long arm i think that is all i have in my mind for the next couple years till my insurance goes down so i can get another daily driver.

Yeah if your planning on going to 35s that could end up being pretty expensive with the TJ, i like the long arm kits they seem to perform very well...

atleast your on the right track going with the jeep instead of a :rb: toyota lol.

If you get a YJ it would be pretty easy and not too pricey to lift it on 35s. I heard the shackle reversal works good for a better ride. make sure you do a SYE kit though on either.

That TJ has quiet a bit of miles IMO, especially for paying 6500.

round headlights are for sissys lol:looser:

I think i have seen that one driving around before, not bad:awesomework:

Just talked to the guy about it---it's got quite a bit going for it, but does need some mech work to be a decent DD/wheeler....defintely not a bad start for sure....:awesomework:

i put an offet on the white tj and test drove it i offered 55 for it and it sounded like he was down with it. it needs an s.y.e. and all the conversion stuff for that such as the longer drive line and it dose need to be re-geared but i dont mind doing work on the drive train and suspension i just dont want to have to do alot to the engine.

Either way i think youll be very happy they both make pretty decent wheelin & drivin rigs. Especially hot summer days when you can drop the top its pretty sweet.

Atleast your not wanting to drive a toyota :cheer:

Got it

hey guys im in now! i got the 97 i love it. just thought i let every one know that your gonna start see me around hopefully. here is my new rig. gonna drop in my s.y.e and my c.v. in it next week i think it was a great buy for 55! thanks for every ones in put

Last edited:
Nice Heep. Congrats! :awesomework: But ya gone and dun it now, your fridge will be empty (cept for beer) the cupboards will be bare. The dog will starve and you'll stay up late at night trying to figure out what you want to change or add or mod next..... God I love it......:haha::clappy::haha:

you just described my night last night... we really are a one of a kind people aren't we? gettin my 44 next weekend and buildin it up!

nice jeep man. you will have to post some pictures of the future mods.

that jeep looks like my brothers.