• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TJ rear axle options

NotSoPC

So I just picked up a 98 TJ for the wife and I play with a little. Not planning on a crazy wheeler, but one that can/will be a DD and play rig. Wanting to run a 35 and have no trust in the D35. I have looked around at options and like the 9" EB axle idea or even an 8.8. My question is what have others done that works and is cost effective? No need for a 60 or 14bff. Also, any local shops that would be good to work with on a project like this? No access to a welder right now or for a while. Any input is welcome. Thanks.

the 8.8 is a really good swap I have swapped a couple in and i used the M.O.R.E. axle swap kit it worked really nice.

but you could buy an axle from like Curry and just bolt it right in... They have some really nice options.

Find a TJ D44 and it's a plug and play swap. You could do it yourself in a day with hand tools.

FWIW I beat the **** out of my explorer 8.8 and it has held up very well.

Cost effective would be the 8.8. It is not really my first choice but for what it is, not a bad route. I will say aftermarket support for it has skyrocketed in the last 5 years.

the 8.8 is a really good swap I have swapped a couple in and i used the M.O.R.E. axle swap kit it worked really nice.

but you could buy an axle from like Curry and just bolt it right in... They have some really nice options.

I was looking at those today and it would be nice but in the end the price is a bit more then I can really afford. I would have to get the parts for the swap together over a few months and then put it all together once I had what I need.

Find a TJ D44 and it's a plug and play swap. You could do it yourself in a day with hand tools.

FWIW I beat the **** out of my explorer 8.8 and it has held up very well.

I would love to find a TJ D44 rear. If I ever do find one for a good price and happen to have the cash then that would be the route I would go for sure.

sounds like you need to save your money for either an 8.8 or D44. Both would work fine with 35's. When you have the money pull the trigger on which one is available or works best. If you don't have a welder the 44 would be easier.

If you choose the 44,I would go with the aftermarket 33 spline shafts. I have twisted a couple different brands 30 spline shafts running 35 inch tires.

X-whatever on doingan 8.8 swap...super stout axle and lots of aftermarket support

Kind of the direction I am starting to lean. Seems I can get the axle as a take out for a couple few hundred and then pick up the rest of the stuff as I go until I have what I need to put it in.

If you choose the 44,I would go with the aftermarket 33 spline shafts. I have twisted a couple different brands 30 spline shafts running 35 inch tires.

Listen to this guy...he's right...:awesomework:
If you get the parts together for the 8.8 swap, and need the metal melted on, give me a holler, and I may be able to help ya out. :awesomework:

Listen to this guy...he's right...:awesomework:
If you get the parts together for the 8.8 swap, and need the metal melted on, give me a holler, and I may be able to help ya out. :awesomework:

That's good to know Kev, thank you. By time I get to the point of getting bracket welded I will be up in the north end. May even have a welder at that point. Hard to say. Even if I have a welder I may need some learning as my welds are not what I would really trust on a suspension mount at this point.

If you make it up here and need someone to weld it let me know if Kevin doesn't have the time. I'm a welder/fab guy for a living and I don't mind helping out a fellow wheeler.

My only problem with 88 is c-clip, and funky offset.......other then that my buddy rips one in his yj with some 36s :awesomework:

With disk brakes the c-clips are not biggy nothing to worry about but they do sell a C-clip eliminator kit.

With disk brakes the c-clips are not biggy nothing to worry about but they do sell a C-clip eliminator kit.

What he said. Plus if you are only running at 35, you won't be breaking a lot of 8.8 shafts on a trail rig/DD.

The slightly narrower width will only be an issue if you plan on running large tires and stock offset wheels. You can buy 1.25" spacers from Spidertrax or plenty of other places if it bothers you, or you can buy the Yukon super 88 kit and end up with chromo shafts, an extra inch or so of width on each side, and no more C-clips. :cheer:

Plus, everybody thinks their TJ 44 rear has a golden nugget hidden somewhere in it as far as I can tell from the prices people want for them. It's just a 44, and the tubes are skinnier than the XJ/MJ version. I wouldn't run a TJ 44 without trussing it or re-inforcing the housing somehow.

Last edited:
If interested I have a 8.8 laying around I'm looking to get rid of. It came out of a 04 explore if I remember right. It's 410 gears with limited slip an disc brakes