• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tonga Rerun

jam session

Anybody interested in running Tonga again on Sat? My brother in law from SF will be in town and I promised him a jeep run. According to nowires and the weather man we should have a firm base (raining now, freezing tomorrow and then a little more snow) so I think it should be good.

I might make this. I have to drop my wife off at Seatac at about 0730 that morning so I should be able to make up there by 830-900.

I might make this. I have to drop my wife off at Seatac at about 0730 that morning so I should be able to make up there by 830-900.

That'd work great. Now we need to get Bruce to come as well. I followed him for most of the run on New Year's and my daughter said he must be having fun cause he's always smiling. I'll only have 1 passenger so am thinking of bringing a small BBQ for burgers on top. Let me know.

Last edited:
That'd work great. Now we need to get Bruce to come as well. I followed him for most of the run on New Year's and my daughter said he must be having fun cause he's always smiling. I'll only have 1 passenger so am thinking of bringing a small BBQ for burgers on top. Let me know.

Ya Bruce is a good guy and known him for a very long time granted he used to be a toy guy :redneck:

x 3 on Bruce, Awesome guy.

Grilling sounds good up top. Let me know if you are for sure going to bring a grill and I will get some sausages or something.

If I didn't have plans this weekend I would love to come back out again...

Hey crash would love to have you come out, but you showed us the way so now we will run without you. Nowires should come out and show us how his "get on top" theory works however. Thanks again for the hangover run. Still telling people what a good time we had and the sunshine and snow pics are pretty convincing!

x 3 on Bruce, Awesome guy.

Grilling sounds good up top. Let me know if you are for sure going to bring a grill and I will get some sausages or something.

Count on it. Grill is coming. It's a portable propane thingy I use with my camper but will work great for burgers or sausages. Gotta impress the relative from SF you know :D Tailgate on Tonga Ridge instead of football watching from the couch! Its a jeep thing, I think I saw the Toy guys eating store bought sandwiches :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Hmmmm I got a little project that I have been working on for a couple years that needs my attention and I should do that.:D But wheelin in the snow sounds fun also. I will have to think on that one.

Hey the last run was great, and thanks for the nice comments. Really enjoy getting out and meeting new people. For this Sat. I will at work. Sad but it happens.. Would really like to check out fresh roasted dogs too. Picked up a few extra poundage over the holiday, but can't turn down a BBQ.
I had a snow board friend say the pass got dumped on Tues so there should be plenty of new snow.

Hey Bruce thanks for chiming in. Sorry you can't make it, maybe next time, gotta work to pay for our toys:D I'm always looking for someone interested in a day or half day trip up to Walker if that is of interest down the road.

Anybody else please confirm if you're coming. Would like to meet at the railroad bridge pullover around 9. I'll bring you a burger if you let me know.

I am still planning on making it, but I sliced my hand open at work today so I am going to wait until later and see how it and the medication are treating me before I give you a sure answer.

I am still planning on making it, but I sliced my hand open at work today so I am going to wait until later and see how it and the medication are treating me before I give you a sure answer.
Ok, thanks for the heads up. Will send a PM with a phone #

Hey the last run was great, and thanks for the nice comments. Really enjoy getting out and meeting new people. For this Sat. I will at work. Sad but it happens.. Would really like to check out fresh roasted dogs too. Picked up a few extra poundage over the holiday, but can't turn down a BBQ.
I had a snow board friend say the pass got dumped on Tues so there should be plenty of new snow.

Bruce.......did those spacers work out?

Ok, took a while to figure out how to transfer pics from my BIL camera since he forgot his USB cable, which of course is not standard, but here they are:

Start of the day leaving home:
P1010807.JPG

Aired down here, not as much snow down low as last week.

P1010812.JPG

No tracks past here
P1010818.JPG

Nobody at the fire pit yet
P1010825.JPG

Playin on the little hill climbs
P1010826.JPG

P1010827.JPG

Tonga trailhead GPS. This elevation is correct but the GPS was really goofy coming up here. That spike in the yellow trail going to the left at the top of the map,that goes back to the main road is completely bogus and for some reason it was also stuck on 1653ft in elevation all the way up until we turned off the jeep and restarted

P1010834.JPG

BIL at tonga trailhead, first time on snowshoes
P1010838.JPG

Heading up the trail
P1010842.jpg

Snowshoe hike scenery
P1010850.JPG

We've earned this, Winterhook (only 1) and BBQ burgers after the hike
P1010855.JPG

Tailgating jeepin style
P1010857.JPG

Heading down, just a bit of sunshine and one set of tracks
P1010858.JPG

What do we have here? Hello ladies do you need some help?
They said "we saw your tracks and thought we could follow you up to the trailhead." Reminded me of my favorite jeep bumper sticker "Don't follow me, you won't get there!"
P1010860.JPG

Winched them out of the holes they had dug, but they got stuck again in about 20ft. Checked their tire pressure and aired down to 15 fr, 13 rear and pulled em out again. Turned the jeep around and let them follow me up to the trailhead which was less than 1/2 mile away. Helped them turn around and then headed down again.
P1010861.JPG

Now we're going for a big one! Next obstacle was a full size Dodge Ram. He was about 1/2 mile below the fire pit. Open axles and too much skinny pedal made big holes in the road. Couldn't budge him with the tow strap even with 20ft of slack for a head start. It was really slick here. Ended up backing the jeep off the track into the deep snow with almost all the winch line out for max pulling power. Then turned the wheels to anchor the front end. I know the Smitty XRC8 isn't the best winch there is but it pulled this guy out and I'm sure he outweighed us by about double. He generously offered to pay for the tow but we told him to just pass it forward and help somebody else.

P1010866.JPG

Wish there was more sun, but still a nice view on the way home.
P1010867.JPG

Charlie, that should be enough pics to keep me on for a while.:D And thanks again for being my emergency contact since this was a solo run.