• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

tool carrier

Jeepless

Sleep deprived and proud
I mean bag or box?

HOw do you carry yours to the trail, in the past I shared a bag with anonther rig similar to mine and then I went to a small just as unorganized box. I found myself dumping all the tools out to find what I need. When I am traveling around of grabing parts I have a two drw box that is pretty well organized but is a little to large to carry wheelin..

I am not sure what kind of space I will have when my sami is all created but I would definitly like to see what you are all doing.:cheer:

Lots of small bags. I still have to dump them out occasionally to find something but at least I'm only digging through a pile of ONE type of tool (sockets, wrenchs, screwdrivers, etc) at a time. Plus they're quiet, no rattles and tools aren't getting beat up by eachother.

Dirtball carries his tools in Ammo cans. Plus he has really cool compartments to put them it. It works very nicely for him.

I have a tool box, with an organized socket set. But I like bags better, they can fit into places and get mashed around, whereas a rigid box cannot.

Jeepless said:
What kind of rig are you rollin and where do you store all said bags?
86 Toy pickup with a Delta crossover box. A full compliment of tools takes up aboot half the box.

normal_IMG_3822.JPG

OH I got yeah so you are sporting a tool box, to put all your tool bags in.

I don't think that is going to be an option for me...although Mr C is definitly a creative:;

Jeepless said:
OH I got yeah so you are sporting a tool box, to put all your tool bags in.

I don't think that is going to be an option for me...although Mr C is definitly a creative:;
I don't know how much body you have left on your zuk, but mabye you could use a small chest?

CJ5... no back seat for the big stuff (cooler/tool box) i keep a tool bag for the common stuff so its easier to get to. as i have been able to upgrade my tools to Craftsman i throw the off brand junk in my trail bag, so i have a bunch of miss matched sockets ect.... . :D

CrustyJeep said:
Bag, fo sho. Like $15 at HF. Plus it doubles as my pull-a-part tool set :D
X2, I wouldnt want a box after having a bag. So much more convenient. Down side is digging and digging for the right tool.

CrustyJeep said:
Bag, fo sho. Like $15 at HF. Plus it doubles as my pull-a-part tool set :D

x3, I got the same one. Fill it with tools and jam it behind the seat. Bags are quieter and fit in small areas better IMO.

I have a MAC tool box thats about 15 x 12 x 4. I keep it in a lockable storage box I built in the rear floorboard. SOB weighs 48 pounds, all tools. I use ammo boxes for spare parts in the same storage area.

SysWillys said:
I use ammo boxes for spare parts in the same storage area.
Storage area... Gosh that must be nice :D

A CJ5 with a back seat doesn't have any of this "storage area" :booo:

I prefer the ammo cans mounted between the frame rails. I seal em with silicone and just run it, I also have to large upright ones bolted behind my seats.:D

Last edited:
I ran a couple of ammo cans in the cherokee for a bit, and I could put lunch for the gang spare parts and all kinds of things... I may put one can in there somewhere if there is room but the bag is looking pretty much like a good idea. Although I am not done scoureing the internet for other options.:;

I got one of those craftsman tool sets that comes in one of those slim black plastic boxes. I strap it to the back of the rear 4runner seat then I have a small box and a small bag for the stuff that doesn't come in the set. Basically hammers, larger wrenches and sockets, and assorted pliers.

Harbor freight has a bunch of different sized bags, I use two large bags and a bunch of the little ones and keep them in two medium sized rubbermaids on either side of my back seat.