• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

tow rig question

S10slayer

do you need a fullsize dodge,ford, or chev to tow? ya the full size brakes etc.. but ive seen some 05 cherokee's tow some big stuff. lemme know ur thoughts

Doesn't mark M tow his rig with a toyota tundra?

A tundra is miles better than a unibody tow rig. It has a hitch bolted to a real STEEL frame not a hitch on sheetmetal.

Cherokee axles can barely handle keeping a cherokee moving let alone an added 6,000 lbs more. (mo crazy if towed with an aluminum rear axle cherokee)

Go see if Uhaul will rent you a car trailer when you show up in a cherokee

just cuz you could **** a goat doesnt mean you should.

Your talking an '05 grand cherokee right??? What engine? 3.7 4.7 5.7 or the diesel? You could tow with it if you stay in the proper rating and put a trailer brake controller in it... The brakes on the wk are a lot bigger than past grands, their actually close to the 1/2 ton truck brakes... But Inmho I wouldn't try and tow a car trailer with it maybe dirt bikes and that sized toys

A tundra is miles better than a unibody tow rig. It has a hitch bolted to a real STEEL frame not a hitch on sheetmetal.

Cherokee axles can barely handle keeping a cherokee moving let alone an added 6,000 lbs more. (mo crazy if towed with an aluminum rear axle cherokee)

Go see if Uhaul will rent you a car trailer when you show up in a cherokee

just cuz you could **** a goat doesnt mean you should.

oh, i agree completely.. I wouldn't tow with a cherocar unless it was a 2k lb utility trailer. I'd never tow a rig with one.
However, i do have a buddy who towed his jeep on a trailer from BC to Moab with a JGC.

It put an end to his tranny.. but it made it there and back.

i had a grand Cherokee and i towed my rig with it. i wouldnt recommend it. it was super sketchy. probably one of the dumber things i have done.

do you need a fullsize dodge,ford, or chev to tow? ya the full size brakes etc.. but ive seen some 05 cherokee's tow some big stuff. lemme know ur thoughts

Just because you've seen doesn't mean you should---DEFINITELY not recommended for hauling anything more than a couple quads on a smaller single axle trailer---with brakes on trailer; I can't count how many brake services I've done on GC's that don't even have a hitch and the old brakes are TOAST!!!

Towing in the 5000 pound range, or above, really is the realm of a full-size tow rig.

There are multiple issues at play. Some of which are (1) the engine's power, and it's ability to haul the load over the mountains. Other concerns (2) are the ability to stop the load. Yeah, you got trailer brakes, but you absolutely cannot count on the trailer's brakes stopping 100% of the weight, or 100% of the time. And full-sizes have full-sized brakes. Plus (3), you've got to factor in the 'Tail Waggin' the Dog' syndrome. If you haven't figured out this, here's a simple fact. The tow rig NEEDS to be heavier. The heavier, the better. Seen too many times when a semi-tractor goes past a loaded trailer behind a small tow rig and the next thing you see is a wreck, due to the wind pulse of the semi, causing the trailer to wag (sway) which is transmitted to the trailer hitch of the tow rig and ca-boom, she wrecks. If you got's all that, then (4) Overheating comes into play. Only the full-sizes tend to have the cooling capacity to tow heavier loads consistantly without overheating.

Just because you've seen doesn't mean you should---DEFINITELY not recommended for hauling anything more than a couple quads on a smaller single axle trailer---with brakes on trailer; I can't count how many brake services I've done on GC's that don't even have a hitch and the old brakes are TOAST!!!

Your talking about the WJ grand. Yeah the guy who designed that braking system got fired... The '05 is a wk they put almost fullsize brakes on it way bigger than WJ's. I haven't done too many brakes on the WK GC

Your talking about the WJ grand. Yeah the guy who designed that braking system got fired... The '05 is a wk they put almost fullsize brakes on it way bigger than WJ's. I haven't done too many brakes on the WK GC

I have...:D But yeah, the WK's are better---still doesn't change my opinion of towing with one!:hi:

Just buy a dodge Diesel and you can do this :redneck:

Justbadass.jpg