• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rig Questions and a little story

TwinStick

Many of you don't know me here, but I figured I'd give ya'll a little story of my weekend and ask for some tow rig help.

So, I was going to Tellico on Saturday. Friday night, I got my rig loaded up, met my girlfriend up at wally world to pick up some food, and was headed to the house to get some sleep. She was following me in her car. I'm cruising along at about 40 mph on a 4 lane in kennesaw, and coming the other way, I see a lowered integra absolutely flying. He's coming around a corner, cuts a car off, and I see his backend come around. All of a sudden he is perpendicular with traffic, and headed straight towards me. He hits the median, which sends his car flying into the air, and he hits my truck in the air. Turn out, he died at the seen. I tried to care for him the best I could, but there wasn't much I could do. I was relatively not hurt, but I'm sore as hell and thought I broke my hand. His car all but desinigrated. The roof was sheered off, and the passenger side was sheered off. All that was left was a driver's seat and a motor. I know my truck is going to be totalled. I had gotten an 01 f-250 cc, short bed, 7.3 automatic, green in color. To me, it was a very nice truck, with leather and the lariat package and 150,000 miles and I've only put 750 miles on it since I got it 2 months ago. So now I have a few questions. Does anyone know about what I should be expecting from the insurance company? Also, what is everyone's opinions on tow rigs? I really liked my ford, and think I'll go with another one being as I truely believe this truck saved my life. I have found a couple for sale, I was just looking at input from those that tow all the time. I'd like to stay under about 12,500 or so. Here's a picture of my truck and here is one that I'd like to look at. I really want a black truck.

main.php

Here's one I'm looking at:

9845200907.256246743.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Any thoughts?

Sorry about all the happn's,glad your OK.I've got one hell of a tow rig I can put on you right.
http://hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=4683.0

Thanks guys. The scary part was seeing it all coming, and knowing what was about to happen. I was on the phone with my dad and started screeming seeing it coming, and then the phone went dead as it hit in the back seat when the airbag went off. Before I could call him back he was already out the door on his way up to see me.

POPS58 said:
Sorry about all the happn's,glad your OK.I've got one hell of a tow rig I can put on you right.
http://hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=4683.0

I really don't want one with a lift. But thank you though.

Man sorry to hear about your weekend and glad your ok.
If you want to stay with a ford just make sure you get another 7.3. I would stay away from the 6.0's and the newest one. They have bad head gasket problems.
You should be able to find a nice truck for that price since the diesel market has dropped so much.

Stay away from the 6.0 is all i have to say. Im in a cummins now. If you do get a 6.0 KEEP IT STOCK. No chips.

listed problems i had...

-head gasket (x2)
-warped heads
-blown turbo
-egr valve (ended up just blocking it and getting rid of the whole system)
-rear ring and pinion (x2)
-transmission was on the way out around hundred thousand

And you are one lucky SOB. Sounds like that could have been lights out for you too. Someone was looking out for you.

HOLY **** man. That is seriously fawked. How you holding up mentally after having a dude die right there with you? Happened to my dad and he never said a work about it, just bottled it. wow. I'm not built for that ****, while my buddy luke (cash talks) ride the ambulance and fire trucks and **** and sees it all the time. different strokes.
I would say insurance wise, assuming he had some (never fawking know) that you will be paid well for your broken hand, even if its able to heal 100%. I don't like people that see this as a payday and want to not work and be compensated for it, but the flip side is, you need paid enough to cover your trouble. when I cut a tendon in my hand with a grinder at work, I was back the next day with a deal on my hand to demobilize me and only missed about 3 days with the surgery and all. The insurance company paid me $5500 for 10% impairment in my hand without me knowing it was going to happen. all I wanted was my hand fixed and no copays over the deal. In that case, I would say if they gave you a replacement on the truck (KBB is still high on those while they are going cheap as ****) and a couple grand for your hand and whatever else needs covered plus all your medical bills and lost work time, you'll be okay. its less than ideal, but its not a reason to try to sue and get 100K like some do.
I'm still appalled. ****ing wow.

98.5 to 02 I think is the 2nd generation cummins - great trucks. I would shoot for an 01 with with 6 speed.

Also as already stated stay away form the 6.0 fords.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Holy **** dude.....suprised I didnt already hear about it. If you need ANYTHING just ask man.....you know where Im at.

Guess you can finally get that Dodge now :flipoff1:

Thanks everyone. I was kind of druged up yesterday when I posted, but I wanted to be clear, my hand was not broken, I thought it was because before I was even able to get out of the truck, it looked like a golfball was on the side of my hand. Turns out it wasn't broken though, and my neck xrays were fine. I'm not looking to sue, or anything like that. I just want to get my truck replaced. Mentally, I'm alright right now. Saturday, after all the adrenaline had left, it was kind of a bad day. I just can't lay down without seeing that car coming at me again.

So, is NADA and KBB not a good indicator of the value? They are averaging anywhere from 16,500-17,250. I do like the cummins, but I'm not crazy about the bodystyle of anything older than the 04s, and I can't afford the newer ones. I did find a chevy though, and I know there are a few of you that tow with chevy's. I like the rounded headlights of I guess 01-03.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=255940561&dealer_id=1387802&car_year=2003&rdm=1229918584880&model=GMCC25PU&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2000&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=Diesel&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&ct=u&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=GMC&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=1&drive=4+wheel+drive&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=30144&advanced=y&end_year=2006&doors=&transmission=&max_price=15000&cardist=132
9760080466.255940561.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=256084172&dealer_id=53365745&car_year=2001&rdm=1229921664269&model=CHEVC25&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2000&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=Diesel&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&ct=u&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=CHEV&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=1&drive=4+wheel+drive&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=30144&advanced=y&end_year=2006&doors=&transmission=&max_price=16000&cardist=112
9816131259.256084172.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

I'm going to have to disagree with JAB here. 98.5-02 cummins are ****ing terrible. I've put pump after pump on. heath with the 02 HO has had the dealer put a on and is ready for another soon. this is the ip, not the LP. My 04...I love it. Love it. better milage.
Dmax. go to texas direct auto. you will be surprised what you can get into a newer Dmax for with low miles. low teens. I mean under 100K.

I have personally had all three 02 Ford with 7.3, 2004 Chevy with Duramax and 04 Dodge with Cummings. These was all company trucks so they was stock and was not able to do anything aftermarket.
The Ford 7.3 had over 250,000 when I turned it in and roughly 150,000 of that had a heavy trailer behind it. It was a great reliable truck. It was also a pretty comfortable truck
The Chevy only had approx 80,000 when I turned it in. It pulled a heavy trailer most all of its miles. It was by far the strongest puller of the three. It was also the best by far on comfort,
The last one was a 04 Dodge with automatic and 5.9 Cummings. It was the top of the line Laramie. It was the worst of all three on the comfort level. It was about the same on power as the 7.3 Ford.I did not pull a trailer as much with this truck as the other two but You could tell it was not as strong as the Chevy when you got in the hills of TN.

All three was great trucks but if I was buying one for my personal use it would be the Chevy hands down. That is unless I came across a great deal on one of the others. As others have stated the 6.0 Ford is junk.

Cross posted from my home forum.

So, I was at the wrecker yard today, and the cops told me that after the life flight to Grady, the other guy ended up making it. I couldn't believe it. I think everyone on the scene assumed he was going to die, and turns out he made it. Here are some pictures of my truck and his car. I do have a busted windshield in the jeep, and the hood is really chipped up due to all the glass from his car.

Edit: The paramedics DID NOT cut the roof off this car. Apparantly I ran over part of it and peeled the roof off.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php