• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow rig questions

302_buggy

Which is better from experience a single wheel or dually as a tow rig? Which is better NV4500 or the NV5600 or what is a good manual transmission to go behind a 12v Cummins?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Re:

What type trailer, how much weight, what is your axle gearing?

And Dually will always pull better than a single wheel unless there isn't a whole lot of weight to warrant dual tires. Same trailer, same load behind my F250 pulled way better in same year F350 Dually. Both 4x4, both had same engine and trans.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Re:

It'll be a gooseneck trailer thinkin I'll build it either 30 or 40 feets and as far as weight whatever my buggy my wife's rig ends up being and a rhino rite now I have an 07 F350 single wheel with a weak 5.4 and automatic I want to say 4.56s for gears if I read the ID tag rite I have a cummins and wondering what trans to run. I'll be pulling from Oklahoma to where ever the rides are from here and I would rather have reliable power to get me there and back

5600 is a much stronger transmission than the 4500.

If you get a truck with the 4500, NEVER lug in 5th gear. I don't care what fixes it has in it, keep it over ~2k in 5th.

If you're looking at something to pull 2 rigs on, you'll be happier with a dually - especially if towing is most of what the truck does. If it's your commuter too then it depends on your parking situations.

Re:

No it'll be 90 percent tow rig I mite take it out and about once in awhile but parking ain't nothin I can walk from the north 40 into a store I do now any way cuz the long bed 4 door that turns like a tank can't get close to the front door

With that much weight, Dually all the way and never look back. It really does make a huge difference.

If it's strictly a tow rig, and going that big of a goose, most definitely a dually. My last truck was a dually and I miss it like crazy when I'm towing. Up here in the winters the dual wheels suck on snow and ice, only reason I switched it up this time

Re:

Don't get a lot of snow and ice where I'm at usually and it don't last long when we do so sounds like a dually conversion is in the future I've got very little money in the truck so I can spend some and make the truck I want with the add ons I want instead of buying a 60k truck that I still wanna play with

I pull a 44' enclosed GN with LQ. With the buggy in the back, water, tools, spare parts, race gear, family, dogs,etc... I might be over 20,000 trailer weight on a single rear wheel 2500. All together I may be pushing 30,000.

It tows the weight easily. I have no issues with hills or braking. The only issue I have is me knowing I am over the stupid limit. I plan to swap out for a dually in the spring.