• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow rig rubber

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So I currently have cooper discover a/t's on the rig (LT285/75r16 load range "D") and well--they are needing to be replaced here very soon.

So what are you guys running for tires oin your tow rigs that are not lifted?

285/75/16 load range D MT/R's... I like 'em so far... no balance weights and they ride perfect. I have a little bit of rubbing when I turn right due to the way my running board is mounted on the passenger side... I need to move it back a bit, or just ditch the boards altogether...

Honestly, I looked around at different tires and decided I like how the MT/R's look, so I ordered them. It helps that they have a good reputation in the wheeling world to begin with. If they're good enough for wheelers to wheel on, they'll work on my tow rig (I'm only being half sarcastic). :redneck:

Last edited:
Hey mike.
I'm lifting a 07 1 ton tomarrow would you like me to see if he wants to sell the take offs cheap?

I'll have to check rim and tire size, or maybe you know it is a chevy.

Last edited:
my dually has the michelin XPS traction 235/85/16 load range "E"...they seem nice so far,several old timers ive talked to love this tire and will not run anything else...

Ran 285/75/16 Coopers when it was sitting stock. Then did a leveling kit and ran 315's. It robbed too much fuel and power so I'm not back to 305/70/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers and still have the leveling coils. They worked out to be just a hair shy of the 285's on height, but a bit wider so I can fill in the added width of the fender flares. Plus they're E rated at 3550 a piece. The coopers lasted and worked well. Plus they're CHEAP. The Nitto's seem to be a nice tire too. We'll see how they last and how they do in the snow. But it looks like I'm going to try some 33x12.5x18 Parnelli's next time. Since they're a little more aggressive and are rated at 3640 a piece.

Oh and none of my tires have ever rubbed. 4.5" backspacing on an 8" rim seems to be about perfect on these trucks.

35x12.50 16.5s BFG all terrains on my F350 (crewcab), got 60K out of the last set and with 20K already on this set, I am thinking we'll hit another 60K with these.

Whatever brand or model you choose, I would not run anything less than a Load Range E, 10 ply rated tire on a 3/4-1 ton tow rig. Especially if you are planning to haul a slide in camper and tow. I had some Toyo Open Country M/T 315/75R16s installed a couple weeks ago and am happy with them so far. Load Range E, 10 ply rated, 3860 lbs per tire. Have some rubbing issues that I am hoping the DT extended link arms sitting in the garage will cure once they are installed.

I never had a problem with D rated tires on my truck. And it's seen it's fair share of use. They do fine for most. But if you plan on a camper.. it's definitely a must. I just ran load range E this time because I wayyy overload my truck and just needed the extra capacity :redneck:

I've got 285 BFG AT's on mine. They work well, however are only load range D. I've got over 40k on them and will probably get 10k more.

crash said:
I think I will probably stay with the same tire size but go up to a load range "E".

Bridgestone 265-75-16 load rage E , I will work on him if you want.

Lucky Jeff said:
I never had a problem with D rated tires on my truck. And it's seen it's fair share of use. They do fine for most. But if you plan on a camper.. it's definitely a must. I just ran load range E this time because I wayyy overload my truck and just needed the extra capacity :redneck:

I would just hate to see someone find themselves in an accident similar to the one in which I was involved last year. I am certain that the squirmier Load Range D tires on the truck were a contributing factor.

The smaller Load Range D tires are probably a little bit more solid, but the 315/75R16s that were on my truck when I bought felt noticably soft and squirmy compared to the new Load Range E tires that are on it now. I could also see parts of the sidewall where it looked like the cords were broken.

There's definitely a difference.. But what you need for what your truck is used for can make the decision a little easier. I'm not going to go out and get rickson's with Load range H tires just because they're more stable then my load range E tires.

Latest posts