• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired Tow rig

nhl_bullitt

Southern IL/MO
Looking to get a new truck. Specifically 2008 and up v10 Ford. Willing to consider other trucks if they are in good shape. No 6.0 or 6.4 diesels. I'm all over craigslist but might be missing out on something located further south.

To give some kind of price range...10 - 20k.

Cool

Attachments

• cbadge2.gif
    cbadge2.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 181
Ive been towing with an old 2001 2 valve v10 the past couple years. May have to step down a gear more often than a diesel, but it gets the job done. The newer 3 valve v10s have 457 ft lbs tq and have the nice 5r110w trans. I appreciate the simplicity of the gas engines.

So here: not a chance in hell im getting a 6.0 or 6.4. I would do an 02-03 7.3, but has to have under 200k on it and probably has to come from the south bc of rust issues.

Would buy 04.5+ cummins, but they look like 25 year old trucks with how horrible they rust around here.

As for gm trucks, has to be the newer 08+ body style which eliminates duramax's out of the price range.

nhl_bullitt said:
As for gm trucks, has to be the newer 08+ body style which eliminates duramax's out of the price range.

I'm like you I much prefer the simplicity of a gas motor and I try not to drive my tow rig often because its my "nice" vehicle as well so fuel savings don't matter much to me and my 8.1 pulls my jeep like its not back there at all. I would recommend an 8.1 but you cant get it in the body style you're looking for, but I have heard good stuff on the 6.0 in that body style and that's actually what I was looking at before I found a deal on my big block. The newer 6.0's have lots of power and the 6spd transmission really helps out with towing and daily driving duties and I've heard they get decent mileage as well.

I found a pretty nice srw 2005 8.1 w/ 160k on it. Was definitely considering it, but come to find out the rockers already started rusting and the headliner started sagging. I'm trying to stay away from the rust for awhile this time around.