• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Towing a trailer with a Jeep?

benw1

Am I crazy to think I could tow a small camp trailer with my Jeep? A very small ultra-lite trailer or a tent trailer like this or this. 3000#'s or less. The Jeep has 60's so its got great brakes, 4.0L & 5.89 gears so there would probably be enough power. The SOA & 37s seem like the biggest problem, along with the short wheelbase. It drives great on the road and its built right, but I really don't know if it would handle a trailer :confused: :redneck:

I think the wheelbase would be the biggest issue. Maybe it would be OK if the trailer had extra distance from the ball hitch to the wheels......Hell just try it.:awesomework:

There is a guy in my club that tows his camp trailer (probably around 500 to 750lbs) with his 4cylinder TJ.

It does just fine. It isn't a stopping or starting issue. It's the wheelbase.

There is a guy that shows up at some of the races towing a pop up camper with his CJ5....
I dont know what it wieghs but has to be close...

I have towed my Coleman (sleep 6) popup with my 6cyl YJ on 32's and 4.10s. My best advice to you is to make sure you have brakes on the trailer if it weighs more than half that of you rig. Not only will it help with stopping all that rolling mass, but it's the law. Just do not want to see you get a ticket if you are stopped.

Rudi

I used to pull a military (1/4 ton) trailer behind my CJ5 loaded with all my camping gear for the family, never had any problems

I used to pull a military (1/4 ton) trailer behind my CJ5 loaded with all my camping gear for the family, never had any problems

He's talking around 1.5 tons here. Wheelbase is definitely the biggest issue. Brakes and a long tongue on the trailer will help.

The factory rated Wranglers at #2000 pounds or so and the Cherokees and Grands at #5000 with the I6.

With lifts and stuff, I'd take that down a bit myself as your center of gravity has drastically changed.

The gearing change just brought your power band back to where it originally was.

The larger brakes of the 60s are just bringing your stopping back to where it originally was, as the rotating mass of the larger tires now puts a lot more stress on the brakes. Plus, your rig now has added a lot of weight, due to upgrades.

So, I'd keep it conservative it was me.

That said, I've towed 1700 with my lifted YJ a couple of times. It was a little bit wierd - seemed to wander quite a bit, and stopping was sloooow, even with my 60s and 4 wheel discs.

T

I tow with my CJ5 all the time, with no issues. Been doing it for over 15 years.

I tow my 18' starcraft boat, towed that to Neah Bay all the time, I also have a camp trailer (non pop up) that I tow behind it as well, it is about a 12ft camp trailer. I can't even tell that these things are behind me they tow so well.

The biggest thing with towing with the CJ's is to avoid anything with tandem axles, if you try to tow something with those, expect to be pushed off the road, as they will always try to counteract your tow rig.

And with the CJ5 being at 4100 lbs without any mods it is heavy enough to tow a little bit of weight.