• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Towing Gears w/o OD.

might not matter... local 4x store says highest I can get is 3.42 for the 14 bolt. The highest I can get for the D44 is 3.54... I gave up before we found the highest matching gearset. I think your right Jeff... bigger tires.
Thanks all.

gear vendor OD :awesomework:

I know where you can get a dana 60 and dana 70 with 3:07 gears. The gearing all depends on whether or not your truck has enough power to pull it. Lower gears are nice around town for towing but I went from 410 to 3:54 just to get better freeway speed while towing. I only really notice the gearing difference on winding slow towing roads. I would not go back to 4;10 with 31" tall tires. My GCVW is 21k and t does just fine with 3.54. But its a 12Valve, they like the lower RPM's.

I have ran over 2800 rpms for hundreds of miles and never worried about it. I did notice the milage is sure better if you keep it under 2k though. I prob wouldn't hold it over 3k for extended periods, although I doubt it would really hurt it. The only Issues I have heard about running over 3K is the water pump just keeps pumping more with more RPM so you may have a coolant line blow off problem, I have heard of a few issues of the guys running with 4K governer springs. Other than than that no worries.

Last edited:
I know where you can get a dana 60 and dana 70 with 3:07 gears. The gearing all depends on whether or not your truck has enough power to pull it. Lower gears are nice around town for towing but I went from 410 to 3:54 just to get better freeway speed while towing. I only really notice the gearing difference on winding slow towing roads. I would not go back to 4;10 with 31" tall tires. My GCVW is 21k and t does just fine with 3.54. But its a 12Valve, they like the lower RPM's.

I have ran over 2800 rpms for hundreds of miles and never worried about it. I did notice the milage is sure better if you keep it under 2k though. I prob wouldn't hold it over 3k for extended periods, although I doubt it would really hurt it. The only Issues I have heard about running over 3K is the water pump just keeps pumping more with more RPM so I you may have a coolant line blow off. Other than than no worries.

you don't get to play in this game.. your tires are too girly :fawkdancesmiley: . Hell even with 3.54's you're still geared considerably lower then I am with my 4.10's

you don't get to play in this game.. your tires are too girly :fawkdancesmiley: . Hell even with 3.54's you're still geared considerably lower then I am with my 4.10's

Who says you get to play?

Real tow rigs have duallies, everything else is just a a 4x4 p/u truck :haha: :haha: :fawkdancesmiley:

all at 70mph
3:54 with 31.5" tall tires 5spd in 5th gear= 2100rpm
4.10 with 35" tires 5spd in 5th = 2200RPM
4:10 with 37" tires 5th gear in 5th = 2085RPM
3.54 with 35's = 1903 RPM
3.54 with 37's =1800

about 100 rpm diff if you still hjave 35's. I don't think we are too far off other than my truck makes more power than yours!:flipoff:

Last edited:
3:54 with 31.5" tall tires 5spd in 5th gear= 2100rpm
4.10 with 35" tires 5spd in 5th = 2200RPM
4:10 with 37" tires 5th gear in 5th = 2085RPM
3.54 with 35's = 1903 RPM
3.54 with 37's =1800

about 100 rpm diff if you still hjave 35's. I don't think we are too far off other than my truck makes more power than yours!:flipoff:

what speed?

The RPM I qouted is for manual transmission equiped trucks, for auto's 4:10's would be a much better choice, there OD is a taller ratio than the 5spd. The lower gears take some stress off the the gearbox too.:beer: