• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Towing laws vs License in Alabama

You will need a Class A class b does you no good pulling a trailer. You will need to take the General Knowledge and Combination Vehicle written test. After you pass those test you will need to pass a Pre trip and a Road test. You can use the truck and trailer you got stopped in for these test. Be sure you have someone with CDL to drive them to the test facility for you it is still illegal for you to drive it and if you get a hard ass tester they can (and have been know to) call a trooper to write you a ticket for operating a commercial vehicle without first obtaining a CDL.
Find out when you talk to the official people if you can put farm tags on them and not have to get CDL.

Had a friend of mine in KY get a similar ticket as yours. He was able to take his class A in the truck and trailer he got the ticket it. Just a 3500 Chevy and 35 foot trailer. Didn't get air brake endorsement but now has a's. Judge said if he could be ticketed in the truck he could take his test in it as well. Might be worth looking into.

Call the examiners office ( state trooper) if I'm not mistaken you take general and combination no air brake it will be a class b and will cover up 54k or so on weight

You can get class A without air brakes. A combination vehicle is not required to have air brakes. If you take the air brakes test and want that endorsement you will have to have a air braked vehicle to take the pre trip and road test portion. I have been through this several times with a company I worked for in the past.

x2 on staying away from CDL's. I have class A's and recently stopped in Jackson County. You get no slack when having CDL's, you are suppose to know better.
I would start pulling a smaller trailer, if the officer has much doubt you are wrong, he usually won't mess with you. Alabama DOT is getting tougher and are more aggressive on the eastern side of the state. Like previous statements, if they want you to have a ticket, you will get one if not two or three.