• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Towing with 6.4 hemi

3pgnebs

Looking at a new 2500 crew 4x4 with the 6.4 hemi. Max I will ever tow maybe 8k usually around 4-6k once a month or so. Anyone got this setup and if so how do you like it? Truck will only see maybe a 1k miles a month, usually less so definitely don't want to spend the $$$ for a Cummins.

I haven't driven one with a 6.4 but I had 2 different 2500's both with a 5.7 HEMI, the most I towed was around 6k lbs and both did fine. I even pulled the same 6k lb load with a 1500 5.7 HEMI and it pulled great as well. I would imagine the 6.4 would do even better.

If I didn't have to have Cummins dually's for pulling heavy loads I would have a new Power Wagon with a 6.4 :****:

I have a '14 cummins and I thought about trading it in on a gas burner to save on maintenance costs. I went and drove one and it felt faster than the cummins, but it felt like it was screaming to pull the big hills. It would do the same speeds as the cummins, but just made more noise.

I decided not to trade because I didn't want to lose money on mine just yet. If I had it to do over again, I would buy a gasser for now and then upgrade to a 3500 in a year and a half when I plan to pick up a toy hauler.

No help from me, but I was considering buying my first brand new truck last fall, and was leaning towards the 6.4 Dodge. I wonder how they pull your typical 1 ton trail rig.

nhl_bullitt said:
No help from me, but I was considering buying my first brand new truck last fall, and was leaning towards the 6.4 Dodge. I wonder how they pull your typical 1 ton trail rig.

Better then the 350 in the 2500 I use to tow my junk with laughing1

Nhl-bullit, that's basically what I will be pulling for the most part with the occasionally heavier load thrown in. I could probably get by with a half ton truck but the price on this one is to good to pass up!

Not motor related, but I just traded 2013 2500 cummins away due to death wobble. I wouldn't touch another solid axle dodge with 10' pole now.

Joho-Was the problem not correctable through the aftermarket? I assume warranty would have fixed the issue but you didn't trust factory parts? I'm not a dodge fan per se, would buy a Ford if I could find the equivalent for this price.

Yes, I spent some $ and it was "corrected" via aftermarket. It had 48k on the odometer, so out of warranty. Dealer said it all "looks good" was absolutely zero help through the whole process. BTW - truck just had a leveling kit on it, no lift or anything like that and I was running 275's for tires, so nothing outrageous. I think the dealers are kind of covering up what should be an extension to the recall. Not really on purpose, just via their "system"... I understand the people I was dealing with at service had their hands tied. One guy tried to be helpful, but couldn't do jack.

Even after it being "corrected" I felt like it was still there, lurking below the surface and just waiting for one of the new parts I put on to wear a bit and it would come back. At 48k I felt it was BS that it should happen, and that I had to go to the aftermarket to make a truck drive down the highway without throwing me into another lane, off the road or oncoming traffic.

I looked under a 2016 when I saw one and it does look like they changed up the control arms...maybe they fixed it..dunno.

joho75287 said:
Not motor related, but I just traded 2013 2500 cummins away due to death wobble. I wouldn't touch another solid axle dodge with 10' pole now.

2013 was a transitional year....did yours have the older 4 link front suspension or the newer radius arm style?

What was/is giving the problems? I know some of the older dodge's had track bar issues, some other problem also?

My buddy's 06 with a cummins has upgraded tie rods, steering box brace, all new bushings, Etc. and it's still all over the place.

3pgnebs said:
What was/is giving the problems? I know some of the older dodge's had track bar issues, some other problem also?
I replaced: Tie rods, Track bar bushings, Steering Damper, Tires. I didn't do the steering box brace because I decided to get rid of it. Oh, then I had to get it aligned after that...
I would expect it out of a vehicle with 150k on it...not 48k....

i have a 2014 with the 6.4 and love it. I towed with a 2013 tundra crew max 5.7. the 6.4 will pull circles around the Toyota. My two buddies have diesel trucks and my 64 does just as good on fuel and pulls just fine.

I wonder how common it is for the dodges to get death wobble if stock or lifted with after market control arms. Because everyone loves to throw a coil spacer up front and call it good, but then the caster is wrong. They seem to be extremely sensitive to the changed caster angle.

nhl_bullitt said:
I wonder how common it is for the dodges to get death wobble if stock or lifted with after market control arms. Because everyone loves to throw a coil spacer up front and call it good, but then the caster is wrong. They seem to be extremely sensitive to the changed caster angle.

Bingo, you hit the nail on the head. :dblthumb:

Re:

Leveling kit actually calmed mine down. But I have upgraded tie rod, bilstein steering damper, new ball joints, and new bushings in the track bar all 25,000 miles before the leveling kit. Still felt like it was a bomb waiting to go off till I put the leveling kit. Also put a free spin kit on it when I replaced the ball joints.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not sure on 8k load, But I pull my buggy (guessing 3500 pounds) on a 16 foot car hauler no problem with a 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi. Pulls great and can run 75mph easy. Gets about 10 -12 mpg towing depending on how hilly terrain is and how fast u want to go. Choco from dallas last weekend I was stuck behind my buddies CUCV, 55 mph the whole way, got 14 mpg. 6K load no problem.