• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toy vs 44s

Dan

just wondering what the general concensus was regarding strength, looking into new axels for my rig, i always figuired dana44s were a notch or two above toyota axels, some things ive read on this forum make me think otherwise, ...opinions? facts?:beer:

I'd say there about equall. The toyotas are getting alot more expensive to get a hold of but I think with the longfield 30 spline its probably the best choice out there.

yota axles with longs :awesomework: but at the end of the $$$ train you'd still be better doing sixty's :cool:

sixtys are strong but it takes alot of power to turn them and the upgrades that guys do to them it gets expensive pound for pound the toyota axles you cant beat with longs in them. 44's no way the ujoints brake to easy.:D

Strengthwise for the shafts

Longfields = stock dana 60 = stronger than cromo 44

Plus birfield type joints are superior to u-joints.

d 44s suck ass. toyotas used to suck ass too, and then there was Longfield.

a built 60 is a small fortune compared to a toyota.

what kind of rig you puttin axles in?

They are both turds(or should I say lite duty), but here are the facts.
Housing strength goes to the 44,
Axle strength stock is a wash,
Knuckles are a wash as Toys break knuckle studs,44s break ball joints,
Upgraded axleshafts Longs vs Cromo 44 goes to the Toy.
Just about everything else is a wash as in ring and pinion,knuckles,locking hubs,etc. If I had to choose I would go with the Polished Toy axle, but make no mistake that if you polish one of these 2 axles they will still not be bulletproof. Wheel either one of them within their limits and you will be Ok, wheel them hard using wheel speed, big tires, HP, and aggressive driving and failure is around the corner.

sixtys are strong but it takes alot of power to turn them and the upgrades that guys do to them it gets expensive pound for pound the toyota axles you cant beat with longs in them. 44's no way the ujoints brake to easy.:D

I didn't notice a single difference when I went ot my front 60--except it doesn't break.

I ran a 44 and I liked it--I ran a toy diff--liked it.... I am currently running a 60 and like it....

the ?'s i would need to know is. what is it going in ? what motor are you using? what kinda gearing are you planing on running? and what is the max tire size will you be running on your rig ?

i think every one on here would have better info for you then

dan

I have D44 (Jeep wrangler version) and they suck.

My buddy has full width ford 9 inchers on his CJ7. He runs 39's and has never had a problem.

Ford 9" seems like a better choice than a d44. :corn:

Dana 44s are weak, my girlfriend breaks shafts with 31" tires.
I broke a front Dana 44 shaft in my driveway on flat ground.

my runner turns them just fine and the sixtys aren't nearly as pricey as you think. I just got with my 1ton swap and most of the funds came from me parting out my toy axles. I'm just saying I've polished 44s in the past and had toy axles with every bell and whistle, looking back and adding it all up sixtys are the way to go. It's the sticker shock of the initial sixty buy that always got me but i'm so glad i finally did it. Back to the original toy vs. 44, toyota all the way, with 30spline longs that is:cool:

Last edited:
dana 60

axle.......1000
locker......600
axles......1000
joints.......300
histeer.....400
-----------------
3300 and its no stronger than a toyota until you spend few hundred more to make it 35 spline $3600 asuming you do all the labor and use the stock 4.10 gears.:eeek:

toyota

axle..........300
locker........600
axles.........600
joints........:fawkdancesmiley:
histeer.......300
-------------------
$1800 assuming you use the stock 4.10s and do it yourself.

dana 44

who cares?:rb:

how do you guys running 60s claim it doesnt realy cost any more to build a 60 than a toyota?
I could build two toyota fronts for the price of one 60.

is a 60 twice as strong as a toyota? cuz it costs twice as much to build:rolleyes:

I have no idea where people are getting the idea that a Toyota steering axle is even close to a Dana 60 steering axle.

It is rare to see a Dana bend a housing...it's regular for Toyota.

Ring and pinion?......No need to explian that one.

Steering?.... Toyota's is limited...Dana is limitless

Competition?.... See any Toyota stuff except for the F-toy class?

Big tires? bye- bye Toyota bearings, King-pins ect...

I'm sure a Toyota axle will do great with a V8 and 44"TSL's:awesomework:

I have no idea where people are getting the idea that a Toyota steering axle is even close to a Dana 60 steering axle.

It is rare to see a Dana bend a housing...it's regular for Toyota.

Ring and pinion?......No need to explian that one.

Steering?.... Toyota's is limited...Dana is limitless

Competition?.... See any Toyota stuff except for the F-toy class?

Big tires? bye- bye Toyota bearings, King-pins ect...

I'm sure a Toyota axle will do great with a V8 and 44"TSL's:awesomework:
Well said Robin, but the Turd Polishing will continue.:corn:

dana 60

axle.......700
locker......600
axles......500
joints.......300
histeer.....200
-----------------
2300 and its way stronger than a toyota until you spend few hundred more to make it 35 spline then it is a ton stronger than a Tuna can axle $2300 asuming you do all the labor and use the stock 4.10 gears. :looser:

toyota

axle..........300
locker........600
axles.........600
joints........:fawkdancesmiley:
histeer.......300
-------------------
$1800 assuming you use the stock 4.10s and do it yourself.

dana 44

who cares?:rb:
Edited for accuracy. I would rather spend the extra 500 for the peice of mind of knowing that I wont be "That Guy" that fawks up their whole groups day because their polished **** yardsaled all over the trail.:fawkdancesmiley: Anyways this thread is about Dana 44s vs Toy axles Right??????

Last edited: