• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota 2wd/4wd frame the same?

J_SIN

or is there a major difference between the two that would prohibit converting a 2wd into a 4wd with a straight axle up front.

or is there a major difference between the two that would prohibit converting a 2wd into a 4wd with a straight axle up front.

They are different but usable for what you wanna do. Many have done it with no problems :awesomework:

A good way to get a cheap starter rig if you're going to solid axle anyway. The kick up in the front is not the same as the 4wd frames, so steering clearance to the frame might be low if you run high steer and springs with small amounts of lift.

well I guess I'll just have to go with a big lift then huh? haha

I'm just trying to figure out what all the options are while I search for a toyota. thanks for the replies guys

2wd and solid axles have the EXACT same dimensions up front. My truck started out as a 2wd, ther is about half the **** to hack off the frame so in reality is much easier to do.

Oh and no, you don't have to run much lift at all, I'm running 42's on less than 4" of lift including the 3/4" body lift... :D

excellent. I'm really only looking to run 36's. I want to be able to drive it over snoqualmie pass in the winter and do some wheelin but nothing too hardcore. I have an 84 front axle waiting to go in something. now that I know 2wd will work too I should be able to find something pretty easy.

Yup, just build a hanger and toss some shackle tubes in there and dig up a trans and case, your done.. Oh, and a rear end but thats not a biggy anyway.

I figure I'll get some chevy 63" springs for the rear but not sure what I will do up front. I'm guessing the SAS kit from marlin will still work the same, is that true?

Yup, it'll all work just the same. the front of the frame is on the same plane vs the middle of the frame on all of them its just the IFS 4wd frames are flat between the front cab mount and the core support mount so the torsion bars can clear the top of the frame while the 2wd torsion bars go under the frame to the lower A arm.

man I'm glad I found this out. now I have a lot more options. I was looking for a 84-89 4runner but now I'm starting to lean towards getting a truck instead so I can run propane eventually.

any updates on your build 44newman?

man I'm glad I found this out. now I have a lot more options. I was looking for a 84-89 4runner but now I'm starting to lean towards getting a truck instead so I can run propane eventually.

any updates on your build 44newman?

Ya theres updates, Im working on posting them.
Im building a tube bed now. It moves under its own power now.
Updates are hooked up, follow my first link below.
I said below not blow

Last edited:
and now a whole new question

is the 4runner and truck frame the same?

Latest posts