• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota 4cyl motor issues

TreeClimber

In a 2002 Toyota Corolla, with the 1.8L 4cyl engine. Car ran and drove fine. Was parked for a few weeks. When started, the motor rattled quite bad (which sounded like timing chain slap) and was shut down. When tried to restart, the motor no longer fires off. Tries to, but doesn't seem to grab hold and run.

My thoughts are it's jumped timing chain.

So before I pull the cover off and look, is there anyone here with familiarity to this motor, and any other Toyota-specific concerns that come to mind.

The ignition, spark, fuel, air and such have been checked and seem to be in normal operation.

Thanks

I would say chain as well. Have ya checked to see if the disty is in the right spot at tdc?

Its VERY possable it skipped on ya tony. Sounds like the tenioner didn't pressurize and caused the chain to skip.... I have not dealt with this motor so I am not 100% positive. Does it have a distributor?

I have found that with this motor Carbon build up s a problem and after the engine sits a long time the carbon get dry and fall off and get on top of the piston , it sound like Hell, when this happens and sometime the carbon get stuck between the valve holding the valve open, causing on compression, on one or more cylinders, ON START. To Fix remove spark plugs Pore some TOP ENGINE Cleaner in to the cylinders, Rotate engine over BY Hand let set overnight, THAN Crank engine over with starter to clean out cylinders ,Reinstall spark plugs , Start car, NOTE Start car out side only it's going to smoke alot, Drive car a like you stole it , Now carbon is gone, It Works Great And you can also piss off poeple because all the smoke it makes,

I would say chain as well. Have ya checked to see if the disty is in the right spot at tdc?

There is no distributor, as it was the first thing I would have checked (TDC)

Its VERY possable it skipped on ya tony. Sounds like the tenioner didn't pressurize and caused the chain to skip.... I have not dealt with this motor so I am not 100% positive. Does it have a distributor?

We plan on pulling the timing cover, then rotating the motor to TDC and looking at the timing marks.

X2 with Bunk, pull a wrench out and turn the crank to the marked TDC and see how compares

better hope it didnt jump. its most likely an interference motor.

It doesn't seem to be an interference motor. Most of the Kias and Hondas are, but this Toy still spins fine (as I said in my original post) without any sounds associated with piston/valve clatter.

Thank you all for the ideas. Wasn't sure if this toyota had any wierd widgets that a non-toyota guy should know about.

I have found that with this motor Carbon build up s a problem and after the engine sits a long time the carbon get dry and fall off and get on top of the piston , it sound like Hell, when this happens and sometime the carbon get stuck between the valve holding the valve open, causing on compression, on one or more cylinders, ON START. To Fix remove spark plugs Pore some TOP ENGINE Cleaner in to the cylinders, Rotate engine over BY Hand let set overnight, THAN Crank engine over with starter to clean out cylinders ,Reinstall spark plugs , Start car, NOTE Start car out side only it's going to smoke alot, Drive car a like you stole it , Now carbon is gone, It Works Great And you can also piss off poeple because all the smoke it makes,

I was too busy typing my answer to see that you've replied.

Sounds interesting.

Any mosquitoes in your neck of the woods?