• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota alignment question

runner over

I have a 84 toy w 4-6 inch lift leaves n front. It had a shim on the pass. Side only but it fell out now it drives like **** and is killing my tires. I used a tape and align the toe but it still is fd up how do I figure out how big of a shim to put back in or how can I fix this problem...

Last edited:
the shim is 3/8's plate.. simple enough to replace, but i don't see how that is throwing your tow setting off?

The drivers side requires a 3/8 flat bar between the spring and perch. What fell out on the passenger side? Was it wedge shaped?

wedge

Yeah the pass side was wedge shaped.. But I thought that helped out driveline angle not the alignment. I got a sqaure tube shaft and eliminated that problem so I shouldn't need that anymore.... is the only adjustment possible toe in and out? I've always heard to just toe in a 16th to a 8th . Is this correct? Or is it worth taken to a shop?

Yeah the pass side was wedge shaped.. But I thought that helped out driveline angle not the alignment. I got a sqaure tube shaft and eliminated that problem so I shouldn't need that anymore.... is the only adjustment possible toe in and out? I've always heard to just toe in a 16th to a 8th . Is this correct? Or is it worth taken to a shop?
Yes thats for driveline angle, but if you still have on in on one side and not the other, that could cause problems. That shim has nothing to do with alignment. For the most part, the only adjustment is toe like you said. Also, the way the driveline was built will determine whether you need that shim for the angle or not. And, without that shim, it could have rotated the axle down because of the springs. If thats the case, some of the factory stuff may not be working any more (for instance shocks binding due to the angle). Maybe the angle of the king pin area has something to do with it as well with the axle rotated without the shim?

You need to describe whats happening better, as well as how you built the front driveline to determine whether you need that shim or not IMO. Did you use a CV in the driveline, or just U Joints at both ends?

~T.J.

alignment

My driveline has u joints at both end got rid of the cv cause it broke twice and
I didn't want the shim to fall out again.

My trucks seems to float left and right and pull both ways also a little
The lugs on my tread have a lip on the front side of them. Like the tread on the back side is wearing more than the front.I'm spoled in the rear and i have about 90 percent tread in the back and 50 percent in front. So there wearing bad.

have you checked your wheel bearings? if not then lift your front end off the ground and move the tire in and out and see if there is any slop in the wheel bearings. there is no adjustment for caster or camber.. try swapping your good tires from the back to the front, check your tire preasure,check all your steering components ie tie rod ends,drag link, steering box.. maybe your steering box has slop?.. do you have hysteer? does it always pull, or only pull when you hit the brakes? and when you say it floats, do you mean the steering wheel floats so to speak, were you have say for example 10 degrees or how ever many degrees of play in your steerings, you can turn the wheel 10 degrees left before it will turn left, or 10 degree right before it will turn right? we need more info on the truck,? what springs, and what steering set up.

also if you have a degreed shim on one side and not the other you should probably put the one back in, or take the other one out, it would seam like if you have a shim on one side and not the other, the axle housing would be in a way binded?
imo putting shims in the front is not a very good idea for a street truck, i am not sure if yours is a DD or just a wheeler, but putting shims in the front will rotate the housing forward and down and will effect your ahh caster and camber i think?
:D

james

alignment

I have inspected the front end many times lately. Wheel bearings and trunings done about 4-5 months ago and haven't been wheeled on. still tight . Steering box is ifs and not much slop......both sides of frame have been plated with 3/8 steel and there is grade 8 bolts for the box. Marlin hysteer . Didn't want to put the good rear tires up front just to where them out also. Used to be my wheeler but now is kinda turning into the dailey driver untill I get a car for my wife. The only thing I can think of is that that degreed shim was helping the caster out but I wish the was a way to figure this out without waiting for my tires to run bald.

well if all is tight on your front end and your frame isn't bent? maybe you have a bent housing?if not then it's your shims and you should deffanitly get rid of them. also putting your good tires on the front and driving 20 miles, will not effect the tire in any way... i am not sure what else it could be:eeek:

pictures

I'm using my phone right now for the web. But I have some pics of it in the forsale section .... 1990 4runner forsale or trade..
Not really for sale no more unless I get a sweet offer.

just a thought,but mabey you should take out the other shim/wedge and tighten your U bolts,after you replce you centering pin of course.

center pin

I only had one shim in one side to start with... but it has fallen out so now I have no shims in the front at all.. The center pins look fine I haven't taken the leaf apart yet but the pin looks strait. Thanks for the suggestion.

you only had one shim in one side,that seems kinda dumb.
what would you gain outa one shim.
have you retighten your ubolts mabey made sure the centering pin is in the hole on the spring perch.
seems to be a simple problem if this started after loosing the shim.
mabey im missing somthing,theres not much to go wrong under there.

The Degree shim WILL affect caster; if the "fat" end of the shim is toward the front of the rig, this will effectively move the upper king pin/ ball joint forward and the lower back, reducing caster angle. Ideally you'd want 3 to 5 degrees positive caster for most applications. If it's less, you're likely to experience wandering (vehicle does'nt like to track straight.) I agree with Dove'd85 that shims up front are not a good idea, especially on a DD!!

thanks

Yeah it seems simple I'm goin to swap the tires and retorqe the u bolts and look at everything maybe re check the toe and see if the tires start wearin funny after a few days...