• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota alternator wiring?

outhouse

do they have an internal regulator? and what is the 12 volt reference? its on a 88 22re with an ORS harness.

Last edited:
OK, I'm going to bite. What is 12 volt reference? I googled and only got that it related to the sense circuit.

OK, I'm going to bite. What is 12 volt reference? I googled and only got that it related to the sense circuit.

ya thats what i got when i googled it. i looked for like 2 hours. what is the sense circuit. im going to try with out it and see what happens. probly fail but ill try.

What are you trying to do? You can hook it to the battery but depending on what you are trying to do, using the factory sense circuit may be better.

im just trying to make his buggy charge. the "custom" harness that ors made dosent have it. as well as most "custom" harnesses, i dont understand that. what does the sense circuit look like? and what does it do?

If you don't have a butt load of power aseccaries (I can't spell) Than run it off the battery/ main charge wire. otherwise the sense circuit comes from further up the wiring harness from a rather mystical way, **** I don't know. What type alt are you wanting to run?

If you don't have a butt load of power aseccaries (I can't spell) Than run it off the battery/ main charge wire. otherwise the sense circuit comes from further up the wiring harness from a rather mystical way, **** I don't know. What type alt are you wanting to run?

no worys i cant spell ether, its just the factory altinator.

I've got too many electric things for the stock alt, planning to put a 100 amp gm in. Just been limited on ability to go search and pull parts recently.

do they have an internal regulator? and what is the 12 volt reference? its on a 88 22re with an ORS harness.

the ignition 12v wakes the alternator up so the regulator starts working.

the 12 volt reference tells the alternator what voltage the battery is at so it can regulate how strong of a field needs to be generated. just run the wire to the battery and all will be happy

so the ignition 12v needs to go to a switch i.e. ignition switch or toggle(just remember to turn it on)

the 12v reference need to go the battery

the charge wire also needs to go to the battery

and if you want to put a warning light on it thats where the other wire goes

Last edited:
the ignition 12v wakes the alternator up so the regulator starts working.

the 12 volt reference tells the alternator what voltage the battery is at so it can regulate how strong of a field needs to be generated. just run the wire to the battery and all will be happy

so the ignition 12v needs to go to a switch i.e. ignition switch or toggle(just remember to turn it on)

the 12v reference need to go the battery

the charge wire also needs to go to the battery

and if you want to put a warning light on it thats where the other wire goes

so would the warning light just tell you if it not getting enough voltage

Yeah it would work the same as if it was in a truck. You just have to wire the light the way it it is wired in The truck to see if the alternator is giving it power or ground. But you shouldn't need a light just put a voltage gauge on the electronic system and call it good

save yourself some hassal, get a delco 12si high out put one wire, this uses a mareine regulator and all you got to do is run a power lead straight to the battery. i did this today i found out that a external regulator for my 81 nippondenso alt, was gunna cost about 94 bucks so i went to my old shop ( sound starter rebuild ) and got a new alt. 79 bucks plus tax ( i think i got it a little cheep cause i used to work there.