• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota auto

yotawheeler

Does anyone run a Toyota auto trans in their rigs. Trying to figure out if one will hold up or not. Currently running the 22re and l52 trans. Toy high low box to a Dana 300. Just want to get an auto. Might just have to go 4.3 or 5.3 engine with a turbo 350?

I had one but never without the stock tcase. Trans are pretty tough. Iirc you can put a aw4 in with a dakota bellhousing and then run a 241/300 setup or just get inchworm adapter for like 600 for toyota a340 and someone will probably give you the trans

Get an AW4 and back it with a 231 crawl box with a box4rox adapter and a dana 300. The AW4 will bolt right up using a toyota a340 bellhousing, torque converter and flex plate. It's a nice setup but it's fawking slow due to the slush box.

Well maybe it would just be more cost effective to go 4.3 or 5.3. Then I'll actually have more power like I want and get the auto I want too.

I love my auto in my 85 Runner. I absolutely beat the **** out of it too. Never had any issues. Nice thing is, they're cheap to buy too cause no one wants them.

The toy auto is a power hog though.. Pretty dependable but there is a trade off.

Lose the factory hydraulic t case and it's not terrible. That factory case is a power hungry bastard. If I remember right it uses line pressure to hold the t case in gear. It is one of the oddest designs I've ever ran across. Hell park is in the stupid t case since it won't hold a gear without the pump running. :looser:

There is a holy grail of toy auto out there though. There were a few a340f's put into pickups. They have a normal ra1 4 cylinder gear driven t case bolted to them from the factory.

Currently running 22re, l52 trans, toy t case converted to high low box, with twin stocked Dana 300 on back of that, Dana 60s front and rear, and 42s

I've got a complete TOY auto setup I'd sell if you decide to go that route. Cooler/Flexplate/Tourque Converter/Shifters/Trans/Case and even most of a front Driveline :awesomework:

I was gonna use it in a buggy build that I will probably never get to...