• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Brake Retard ?

slednecks1124

I've got a 95 toyota 4 runner 2wd that I have had some brake issues with. When we first got this thing the pads & rotors needed to be replaced as the brakes pulsated really bad. So I bought new pads, rotors & had to replace the drivers side caliper as it was stuck. Me and my buddy replaced the old parts with the new then we bled the brakes. We took it for a test drive & everything worked/felt great.

A few months later the brakes slowly started to pulsate again & continued to get worse and worse and worse. So I had to drive it with the shitty pulsating brakes for a little while as I had just bought a house and money was tight.

So about a month ago i took the pads & rotors off to inspect them, the pads looked fine but the rotors had some high spots which obviously was causing the pulsating so i had replaced with new rotors. and now again its slowly starting to pulsate and slowly getting worse.

Any ideas what might be causing this? :rolleyes:

Which side did you replace the caliper on??? And which side is now showing odd wear/heat patterns....should have replaced both calipers at the same time...If one was locked up back at the first brake service...likely the other wasn't far behind...Just my experience....

Which side did you replace the caliper on??? And which side is now showing odd wear/heat patterns....should have replaced both calipers at the same time...If one was locked up back at the first brake service...likely the other wasn't far behind...Just my experience....

I am pretty sure it was the drivers side that we replaced the caliper on, this was about a year ago. I did not even think to check to see which exact rotor was showing the wear I was just in a hurry to get it fixed.

The brakes are just now starting to barely make a little pulsation, should I take the brakes off and check to make sure the calipers are working properly?

What about wheel bearings? Are they worn and causing excessive heat and warping the rotors?

how would you check these besides listening for noise while driving? I have had wheel bearings go out in other vehicles and our 4 runner does not make any sound like ones I have heard in the past

Easy way to confirm if the pulsation is coming from front to back is. Drive the vehicle. Apply the park brake while having the ability to push it back in. This way you only apply the rear brakes and could tell if you have a pulsation or not. You can also check runout on the rotors. I believe .002 is max runout on those rotors. As far as wheel bearing go jack the front off and spin the wheels. You should beable to hear a noise if one is bad. Much easier when its a drive axle so you can have it under a load. Good, luck and report back.

Easy way to confirm if the pulsation is coming from front to back is. Drive the vehicle. Apply the park brake while having the ability to push it back in. This way you only apply the rear brakes and could tell if you have a pulsation or not. You can also check runout on the rotors. I believe .002 is max runout on those rotors. As far as wheel bearing go jack the front off and spin the wheels. You should beable to hear a noise if one is bad. Much easier when its a drive axle so you can have it under a load. Good, luck and report back.

How do you check the runout on the rotors? Never had to do this on any other vehicles :corn:

How do you check the runout on the rotors? Never had to do this on any other vehicles :corn:

if they are hat rotors. remove them and clean the surface that they rest against aswell as the inside of the rotor mounting surface. then reinstall, to measure runnout you will need a dial caliper, basically you put the caliper on a fixxed point and bring the arm down to the face of the rotor adjust it accordingly and watch the dial as you slowly spin the rotor.. this might be alittle confusing to read/understand... but its very easy.

hope this helps:D

if they are hat rotors. remove them and clean the surface that they rest against aswell as the inside of the rotor mounting surface. then reinstall, to measure runnout you will need a dial caliper, basically you put the caliper on a fixxed point and bring the arm down to the face of the rotor adjust it accordingly and watch the dial as you slowly spin the rotor.. this might be alittle confusing to read/understand... but its very easy.

hope this helps:D

Sounds easy enough to do, Im prob gonna call my buddys dad who owns new sound muffler & brakes and might have him check it out. I have a busy upcoming schedule so making time for it is going to be tough & I will be out of town all next week for work.

Now if the runout is more than spec, how would you fix this?

Sounds easy enough to do, Im prob gonna call my buddys dad who owns new sound muffler & brakes and might have him check it out. I have a busy upcoming schedule so making time for it is going to be tough & I will be out of town all next week for work.

Now if the runout is more than spec, how would you fix this?

either have the rotors turned. if they are still within spec on the thickness and if they are not or will not be once you cut them you will need to buy new rotors. depending on how warped they may or may not be i usaully cut as little out as possible like .015, does it always pulsate and what i mean by that is when you slam on the brakes are the vibs worse what about light peddle preasure?

I have had this same thing happen to mine and customers rigs.

Cheep rotors will warp. Usually though if you run them for a couple months and then when they start to warp have them turned. They won't warp again.

It's bad out there with all these cheeeep Chinese crap parts.

I agree with others that have said to make sure the rear is also working properly.

I always tell customers, Brakes are important. If you cheep out and your engine doesn't run well that's not too big of a deal. However if you cheep out and your brakes don't work, you have serious problems !!!

:corn:

either have the rotors turned. if they are still within spec on the thickness and if they are not or will not be once you cut them you will need to buy new rotors. depending on how warped they may or may not be i usaully cut as little out as possible like .015, does it always pulsate and what i mean by that is when you slam on the brakes are the vibs worse what about light peddle preasure?

The rotors are new & have never been turned yet. The vibration is just starting to appear again when braking but as of right now it is very minimal.

It starts to pulsate as soon as you apply the brakes, its easier to tell when it pulsates when you are barely touching the brakes at higher speeds like 50-60Mph. Right now its barely noticeable, you can feel it only a little bit but you can also see the steering wheel shaking a little bit also