• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota camry stalls???

mudslayer

So I have a 94 camry with 3.0 v6, 1mz-fe motor. Yesterday it started stalling every time I came to a stop sign or light?? Pretty much does it everytime your going and let go of the throttle to come to a stop. I have busted numerous knuckles changing a couple sensors etc, still does it, Please help, any info would help. It will not start right back up, have to let it sit for just a couple minutes and it starts right up and goes for a minute or two then stalls. In my driveway just idling it will shut off too.

Last edited:
Perhaps unrelated... But back when I was a teen I bought a motor from a junkyard(pontiac 350 big block) which had similar symptoms... Would seem to idle okay in park, but died every time I put it in gear and added a load to the engine... Only way to drive it anywhere was to power-brake it... After scratching my head and asking many questions, a mechanic friend found the timing chain to be stretched... And also replaced the dizzy... I know it's a completely different motor... But could the symptoms be pointing you at a stretched timing belt?

Is it showing a check engine light?

Is there ANY part of the intake plumbing that is not "slip fitted" correctly or leaking air?

Does it change with the brakes depressed or not?

Unplug your egr valve, plug the vacuum hose and see if it still does it.

Also If EGR is fine and no vacuum leaks/clogged cat, pull the IAC from the throttlebody and ground the casing then have someone turn on the key. If it doesn't twist itself to adjust, it's hooped. Temp "fix" is to manually screw it in so the motor idles still and leave it unplugged so you can drive till you find another one.

Damn jap cars, what a pita to work on. Gotta remove this to get to that and so on. Haven't even started on the tune up yet. Apperently the whole Damn intake has to come out to change the back 3 spark plugs :mad:

So after it stalls does it fire right back up and idle?

I am with RIX on this as its possible the egr valve is hanging open/slow to close which could easily cause a stall.

So after it stalls does it fire right back up and idle?

I am with RIX on this as its possible the egr valve is hanging open/slow to close which could easily cause a stall.

No it doesn't fire right back up, I have to wait about 2 min or so and fires right up. Idles fine, just dies when coming to a stop or you let off the gas to take a corner etc, runs fine in between though.

Last edited:
You can sneak the back 3 out. Tight, but possible.
Egr is most likely on that. IAC valve is also possible. Sometimes just cleaning it is enough. They get gummed up.

You can sneak the back 3 out. Tight, but possible.
Egr is most likely on that. IAC valve is also possible. Sometimes just cleaning it is enough. They get gummed up.

Just getting to it now. Egr is off and headed to get cleaner.

So I just cleaned it all up put it back together and let idle for 20 min, then stuck it in gear and died! I just now removed the vacuum line from the egr and plugged it, started it up and let idle,died in about a minute? Egr bad?