• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota carrier bearing vs pillow block bearing?

mediumjim

I've got a 2012 900xp and installed a new carrier bearing from Boss Bearing and it lasted about four rides, two of which was just easy riding with a bunch of kids. All my friends with 900s, 1000, and other 900 xp's are having the same problem. Seems like we change one almost every ride. None of us are really big on mud, we like rocky trails. I'm going to be the test dummy of the group and try one of the two but I would like to here from someone who has had experience from both. I have researched both and read all about both but no one has compared the two and decided which is best. They say the toyota bearing lasts around 2,200 miles vs the factory rzr lasting about 500 miles, and the pillow block never goes out sense you can grease them but I guess I just worry about them being so stiff (polaris designed it with a rubber boot so it can give a little for some reason). I can't make up my mind but I've got to try something different than the factory ones, I'm tired of changing them.

my oem bearing was still good when I took it apart at 1400 miles just the rubber got screwed up on a trail fix so I replaced it with another. Ive not tried either of the options you have talked about but I don't think the pillow block bearing would be a good idea eps with stock driveshafts that aren't balanced very well. I would say stick to something with a bushing or rubber of some sort

I dont know rzr's had the same size mid bearing shaft as a toyota, but on my buggy i couldnt keep a stock bearing in it due to driveshafts not being perfectly round and the vibrations. I went to this and it lasted a while noW. There is about a 1/4" of slip also so i didnt set the set screw on the bearing so the shaft has a little room to move back and forth since there is no rubber.

How tight of a fit is there between the inner race of that bearing and the OD of the driveshaft? Any noticeable wear on the driveshaft from spinning inside the bearing?

Not as of yet, it was a snug fit but i wouldnt call it tight. I figured if it does start wearing you could grab the shaft and feel movement and so far so good. Tight just like when i installed it.