• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota (front) solid axle wheel bearings

It would help if you had the 54(?) mm socket to remove the nuts but there are other ways around that. Napa should have the socket.

Something that will hep you and not cost allot. Get a set of race installers. They will help a ton. Also get yourself a brass drift of a nice big punch for removing them.

It would help if you had the 54(?) mm socket to remove the nuts but there are other ways around that. Napa should have the socket.

Yup...54mm, and yes-most parts or hardware stores have an inexpensive one you can buy specifically for this project...

Something that will hep you and not cost allot. Get a set of race installers. They will help a ton. Also get yourself a brass drift of a nice big punch for removing them.

These. I use craftsman bearing presses to get mine in and a brass punch to get em out. I actually just rebuilt my knuckles on Saturday. You'll need a smaller one for the trunion races and the axle seal, and a larger one for the wheel bearings and seal.

The hardest art imo was getting the felt backing plate on the back of the knuckle again. ****ing PITA. Other then that it's pretty straight forward.

My hubs had allen head bolts on them and they stripped instantly, so I needed to use a stripped bolt remover and replace them.

Hammer
Brass Punch
Chisel, works well for the star retainer on the spindle
Bearing presses
54mm socket as well as the standard 10, 12, 14, 17mm ones
2lbs grease
Gear Oil
Brake cleaner
LOTS of paper towels:redneck:

Piece of cake. No press needed.

What he said... those front ends are pretty darn simple. And, at least for me, brass hammer/mallet is my best friend. Makes cone washers a breeze :awesomework: and if your a cheap ass like me, a hammer and screwdriver does the job for those 54mm nuts but just make sure to not over tighten that nut when putting the wheel bearings back in. You'll tell when you go to spin the rotor and hub body. It would be the best to torque to spec of course but I never do but yet again I have done this a couple times :redneck:

Last edited: