• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota hub studs

alscott

so here goes a thread bout this... again. want to go ahead and say sorry and thanks lol
i was orignally running grade 8 bolts couple years ago with 39.5s an was breaking them everytrip then trail gear came out with the arp hub studs an i bought them. finally broke all 6 of them and all 6 dowl pins with 42s. you guys reckon theres any chance arp still has this item becuase trail gear does not? if not are the trail mart super metal studs any count? what are you guys runnin that are taking serious abuse?

What axle shafts are you running. It's hard for me to believe you've broke that many sets of studs before the axles snap.

I am running FJ80 front. Pretty much same hub stud setup, I just can't use the trail gear creeper flanges and drill out the extra 4 dowl holes, because of the fj80's flower shaped hub, there isn't enough room for other dowl holes. So last year, I was winching in reverse trying to pull my buddy out of a bad spot, and BAM! Broke all 6 ARP studs and both dowl pins. Now I think that was just weird circumstances bc I have since been beating the **** out of it with red label stickies and have not broke any since. Also they could have been loose, because I never checked them.

Long story short, it rurnt the hub, so I got another one, drilled the 5/16 factory threaded holes out to 3/8 and tapped it for fine thread machine bolts, and used grade 8 bolts torqued to around 40psi. The other side still has ARP's in it, torqued (probably too tight) to around 30psi, and both sides have held up to a ton of beatings since.

One thing is running damn 42's on a little Toyota axle, some combo's just don't go together and that's certainly one of them! :wtflol:

alscott if u find these please let me know. Sat night I broke all 6 of my ARPs. on passenger side. Mine have been in their 6 HARD months running 39 bfg reds.

Keep your **** tight and it won't break (for the most part)

I'm saying this from my experience breaking 3 Longfield 30 splines and a half dozen or so front ring gears and never breaking a hub stud.

Clean- clean again- loctite - torque

Remember your torque spec, and check it at 2-3 lbs less front time to time (so you don't risk breaking the loctite bond so long as it's still torqued)

Good luck! Sounds like you have found and exceeded the capability of toyota axles

Truth ^^ Something just tells me that if you are killing hub studs that often before shattering axle shafts, you aren't doing something right molaugh

Especially if you have the creeper flanges with the extra 4 dowl holes and are breaking them!

I've messed two 8-series hub studs sets in 10 years of wheeling 80's (a few years on 40's) and both times, I'm positive it's cause they were loose.
Keep'em toight! They'll be foine!

I actually drive my rig unlike most people. i broke more parts with 39s than with 42s. bigger tars are better... to a degree. Ive pushed and found the limits of the toyota axle lol. im runnin a 40 series front axle n my buggy now. the high pinion 8" wouldnt take the abuse. The old long fields are almost unbreakable unless your acting like a **** jammin em into banks 3rd n 4th gear wmfo. I found the arps on trail mart... gotta call em in the mornin... wish me luck lol feel like im fixin get denied on the "lifetime no questions asked warranty" ha ha

Well fawk! thats why i break ****! i only got a 37'' tare! Im goin to put a set of 54'' boggers on it, and ride forever!

keep everything tight! :popcorn:

tube buggy, sbc on pane, turbo toy 5spd, dual ultimate cases, 40 ltb, factory fj80 elockers 4:10 gears, arp studs front with 2 of the larger dowels and longfeild flanges and longfeild axles (course spline), rear has longfield custom shafts and trailmart super metal studs and 6 dowles with longfield flanges.

out for a sunday drive :driving:

http://youtu.be/-qFjidWQVzc

I know it sounds dumb but the guys I ride with say same thing even with tons. A bigger tire is easier on parts... To an extent. I don't have to hit stuff near as hard with 42s as I did with 39s. The path of travel becomes different. I don't mean to start a flame war on this. I just see everything Lil different than most people. Gotta think outside the box :****:

Re: Re: Re: toyota hub studs

alscott said:
I know it sounds dumb but the guys I ride with say same thing even with tons. A bigger tire is easier on parts... To an extent. I don't have to hit stuff near as hard with 42s as I did with 39s. The path of travel becomes different. I don't mean to start a flame war on this. I just see everything Lil different than most people. Gotta think outside the box :****:
I think there is some merit to that, because there is a common setup that most people run with certain track widths ie ~36-39 on Toyota/narrow D44s, 39-44 on full width tons, 44-49 on Rocks.

I could see where running a bigger tire on a certain track width could make the established lines easier.......until they get dug out from the big tires...

Kinda like how you'll see a zuki or narrow track Toyota on narrow rims and little tires scoot up between the big holes and rocks on "big" trails, since they are basically taking a completely different line than all the 1 ton Jeeps on 44s...

Latest posts