• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota keys

Maverick

I dont have the original key for my truck. I've been using a different toyota key for the ignition, but it doesnt work on the doors. Anyone know where i can have one made? If i show them the title or registration?

I dont have the original key for my truck. I've been using a different toyota key for the ignition, but it doesnt work on the doors. Anyone know where i can have one made? If i show them the title or registration?

Toyota dealer should be able to look up the key code with the VIN. You will need to provide proof of ownership before they cut you the keys. Title or Registration and a drivers license is all you need. :cool:

if you pay eighty bucks for a year AAA memebership they will come out and cut you a key if you say you lost it.
and you will have towing and all the other **** that comes with it.

One of these should work...Depends on which gen. yota it is though...

keys-2.jpg

You don't have a local lock shop? Over here all you have to do is take them a lock or the rig and they'll key it for around $25....

You don't have a local lock shop? Over here all you have to do is take them a lock or the rig and they'll key it for around $25....

Tell me where you live. I can 'key' any rig and get away with it... :fawkdancesmiley:

Guy I knew lived in Covington. Neighbors hated him. They 'keyed' his car every night. He tried touching it up with spray paint. I think the key scratched looked better...

Sorry, not really helping, but I would think the Dealer or a locksmith could fix it right up for you, Paging Jason!

I didn't get any keys w/ mine (project) so I ended up getting a Shmucks tumbler/keys($40ish), door locks next..

figured even the cheaper aftermarket unit havent had yrs of inner wear, that and Im used to mutiple keys anyway..

You mean to tell me there are different Toyota keys, seems to me any Toyota key would get into my rig....:booo:

Might also do well to make sure both of your locks are the same, I pulled my drivers lock cylinder and had a key made, turns out the passenger side was different (they're different now anyway because of swapping doors but still). NAPA sells kits with both locks and 2 keys for $30 ish.

It depends on how old the vehicle is as far as getting a key made from the VIN. The absolute cheapest way to get a key made for your truck is to take the PASSENGER side door lock out of the door and take it to a locksmith. There is a key code stamped on the side of the door lock (I say passenger because on the very off chance that the code isn't there the lock is less worn out than the drivers side to make a key from manually). Shouldn't be more that $15-$25 for the first key and then you can have copies made from that for a couple of bucks each.

I worked at a locksmith shop for quite a few years. :awesomework:

ETA: There is a locksmith in Kirkland who is pretty good. Bonafide Lock & Safe. I don't know what road exactly but they are near the hospital and the car pool exit for 124th across from a McDonalds.

Last edited:
what year toyota? i just stripped my 82 and i have the ignition and both door locks from it with key still if you like. :awesomework: